Readings & Writers
The Minnesota Book Awards, a program of The Friends of the Saint Paul Public Library, is seeking submissions of books published in 2018. The nine categories include: Children's literature, general nonfiction, genre fiction, memoir & creative fiction, middle grade literature, Minnesota nonfiction, novel & short story, poetry, and young adult literature. To be eligible, all books must be the work of a Minnesota author or primary artistic creator and must have a copyright of 2018. Authors, publishers and agents are eligible to submit a book by completing the online form, submitting five copies of the book and pay a $45 entry fee. Guidelines available at thefriends.org/submissions. Deadline: 5 p.m. Nov. 16.
Curt Brown, author of "Minnesota 1918: When Flu, Fire and War Ravaged the State," 1 p.m. today, Carlton County Historical Society, 406 Cloquet Ave., Cloquet. Admission: $3 for adults, $1 for ages 5-11 and free for younger children. Call (218) 879-1938.
Annual Wisconsin Poets' Calendar publication reading, 2 p.m. today, Drummond Public Library. Eleven area poets published in the 2019 calendar will read after an open mic. Free. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Duluth Public Library offers these events. Go to duluthlibrary.org or call (218) 730-4200/option 4.
• Toddler time, 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library, green room.
• Story time, 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, West Duluth branch library.
• Preschool story time, 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library.
• Squad Car story time, 3:45 p.m. every other Wednesday, Youth Services Area.
• Preschool story time, 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Mount Royal branch library.
Barbies: A Trans Poetry Slam, 8 p.m. Thursday, Zeitgeist Atrium, 222 E. Superior St. 2-round poetry slam featuring trans-identified poets, musicians, judges, MC and artists. Free.
Poet Jan Chronister reading from her collection, "Caught between Coasts," 3 p.m. Oct. 23, Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College, 2101 14th St., Cloquet. Email email@example.com.
Poetry book release for "Anti-Fascist Exuberant Poetry" with Allen Killian-Moore, 7 p.m. Oct. 23, Adeline, Inc., 1132 E. Ninth St. Admission: $10, includes copy of the book.
Brainerd Writers Alliance Writers Conference and Book Fair, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 27, Rumbly Hall, 707 Laurel St., Brainerd. Speaker: Erin Hart. Cost: $25, includes lunch. Tickets available until Oct. 20 at brainerdwriters.com/writing-contest-and-book-fair/.
Zenith Bookstore, 318 N. Central Ave., offers these events. Call (218) 606-1777.
• Curt Brown, author of "Minnesota, 1918 — When Flu, Fire and War Ravaged the State," 7 p.m. Monday.
• Children's story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
• Scary short story contest. Young readers can send in their scary story, between one sentence and 300 words, by 11:59 p.m. Oct. 24. Prizes awarded based on creativity, spookiness and grammar. Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Halloween party, 1-3 p.m. Oct. 27.
• Author and artist Samantha Nielsen for a q & a on her first book, "5-Minute Watercolor: Super Quick Techniques for Amazing Watercolor Drawings," 2 p.m. Oct. 28.
• Author Mary Casanova and illustrator Nick Wroblewski read from and sign copies of their book, "Hush Hush, Forest," 7 p.m. Oct. 30.
Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall offers these events.Call (218) 786-0710 or go to bn.com.
• Story time, 11 a.m. Saturday. Featuring "Elbow Grease."
• Barnes and Noble Kids' Book Hangout, 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Book Club meet at 7 p.m. Oct. 24. Book: "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green.
Title: "Struck: A Husband's Memoir of Trauma and Triumph"
Author: Douglas Segal
Synopsis: This is an intimate chronicle by film and television writer Douglas Segal of what happened when Douglas got a phone call none of us ever want to get. His wife and their daughter have been randomly hit head-on by a city bus. This book shares how their put their lives back together
Publisher: Prospect Park Books
Title: "Untamed Mushrooms: From Field to Table, a Midwestern Guide"
Authors: Michael karns, Dennis Becker, Lisa Golden Schroder
Synopsis: The book shares how to seek, find and cook wild mushrooms. Features color photographs and expert guidance to help find the mushrooms in the wild and safely harvest them for your table.
Publisher: Minnesota Historical Society Press