The Duluth Poet Laureate Project is searching for the 2018-2020 Duluth Poet Laureate. Minnesota poets who live within 30 miles of Duluth in the past five of 10 years are eligible to apply. Once selected, the Duluth Poet Laureate serves a two-year term and organize five public events, an inaugural reading and attend monthly committee meetings. They will also receive an honorarium of $3,000. Application guidelines are available at the Circulation Desk at the Main Duluth Public Library or go to duluthpoetlaureate.org or email holycowSept. 4. Call (218) 724-1653.
The Duluth Public Library offers these events. Go to www.duluthlibrary.org or call (218) 730-4200/option 4.
• Toddler time, 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library, green room.
• Story time, 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, West Duluth branch library.
• Preschool story time, 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library.
• Squad Car story time, 3:45 p.m. every other Wednesday, Duluth Public Library Plaza.
• Preschool story time, 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Mount Royal branch library.
The Superior Public Library offers children's author Tracy Nelson Maurer for a reading and book-signing, 1 p.m. Saturday, 1530 Tower Ave., Superior. She'll read from "Storm Codes" and "John Deere, That's Who!" Free. Call (715) 394-8860.
Crazy Horse family members Floyd Clown, Doug War Eagle and author William Matson discuss and sign copies of their book, "Crazy Horse: The Lakota Warrior's Life and Legacy," 5:30-7:30 p.m. Aug. 23, Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St. Free.
"Leaves of Grass - Illuminated," a solo performance by Patrick Scully celebrating Walt Whitman, 7 p.m. Sept. 12, Teatro Zuccone, 222 E. Superior St. Tickets: $10. Go to www.zeitgeistarts.com. Presented by Lake Superior Writers.
Lake Superior Writers and Holy Cow! Press present a writing workshop and book release party for Michael Fedo's new memoir, "Don't Quit Your Day Job: The Adventures of a Midlist Author," Sept. 16, August Fitger Room, Fitger's Complex, 600 E. Superior St. Workshop from 2-3:30 p.m. and book signing at 4 p.m. Workshop cost: $20, $10 for members. Register at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, go to www.lakesuperiorwriters.org or www.holycowpress.org.
The Bookstore at Fitger's, 600 E. Superior St., offers these events. Call (218) 727-9077.
• Kara Goucher signs copies of her book, "Strong: A Runner's Guide to Boosting Confidence and Becoming the Best Version of You," 6-7 p.m. Wednesday. Tickets required. Cost: $5. Go to www.eventbrite.com.
• William and Kathryn Mayo will sign copies of their book, "61 Gems on Highway 61: Your Guide to Minnesota's North Shore," 1-3 p.m. Saturday.
• Connie Jacobson will sign copies of her book, "Hellfire in Hermantown," 1-4 p.m. Aug. 11.
Zenith Bookstore, 318 N. Central Ave., offers these events. Call (218) 606-1777.
• Children's story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall offers story time featuring these events. Call (218) 786-0710 or go to www.bn.com.
• "CeCe Loves Science" story time, 11 a.m. Saturday.
• Summer Game Night series, 7 p.m Aug. 23.
Author: Michelle Nephew
Synopsis: This early reader chapter book for lower elementary children features Sophie, Emma and Jack as they explore the strange and wondrous Northwoods around their family cabin, which is full of fantastical creatures, and leads to exciting adventures.
Cost: $3.99 for ebook
Editors: Linda D. Johnson and the late Susan Carol Hauser
Synopsis: Features 42 new color trail maps identifying trail terrain and trailheads in a easy to follow format with mile-by-mile description, trail highlights and suggestions. Details on new trail segments, new loop trails and new and enhanced backcountry campsites are included.
Publisher: North Country Trail Association