Readings & Writers
Arrowhead Library System with MN Writes MN Reads, the Minnesota Author Project and Minnesota's other regional public library systems is seeking submissions of self-published Young Adult and Adult Fiction, through June 30. Each book must be self-published, in the genre of Young Adult Fiction or Adult Fiction, written by a Minnesota resident, available in either PDF or ePUB format and multiple submissions are welcome. Authors can submit at indieauthorproject.librariesshare.com/minnesota. Email email@example.com for more information.
Split Rock Review seeks poetry submissions for "Waters Deep: A Great Lakes Poetry Anthology." Submit two to six poems that represent the Great Lakes in the areas of history, culture, ecology, heritage and lifestyle. No submission fee. Deadline: June 30. Go to splitrockreview.org/submit/.
The Duluth Public Library offers these events. Go to duluthlibrary.org or call (218) 730-4200/option 4.
• Toddler time, 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library, green room.
• Story time, 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, West Duluth branch library.
• Preschool story time, 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library.
• Great American Read, 7 p.m., Duluth Public Library.
• Squad Car story time, 3:45 p.m. every other Wednesday, Duluth Public Library Plaza.
• Preschool story time, 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Mount Royal branch library.
• The summer reading program is going on now. Sign up at DuluthLibrary.org or at any library location. Free.
Lunch with the History People features Robert C. Pearson previewing his book, "The Life and Times of the Vermilion Club," noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, Ruth Maney Room, first floor, St. Louis county Heritage & Arts Center, 506 W. Michigan St. Free. Call (218) 733-7568.
Zenith Bookstore, 318 N. Central Ave., offers these events. Call (218) 606-1777.
• Children's story time, 10:30 a.m. every Tuesday.
• Meet Steve Johnson, author of "Hiking Waterfalls in Minnesota," 2 p.m. Saturday.
Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall offers these events. Call (218) 786-0710 or go to bn.com.
• Story time featuring "Jurassic Park Little Gold Book," 11 a.m. Saturday.
• Story time featuring "Pete the Kitty and the Groovy Playdate," 11 a.m. June 30.
Title: "Bakeland: Nordic Treats Inspired by Nature"
Author: Marit Hovland
Synopsis: With over 50 Nordic baking recipes and 140 color photographs, this recipe book is a treat for the eyes as well as the taste buds. Learn to make dishes such as Spice Cake with Cinnamon Almonds, Vanilla Cloudberry Macarons, Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes, Cardamom Buns with Almond Filling, Pistachio Brownie Cake with Troll Cream, Walnut Brownie Cake with Whipped Cream and Blueberries among others.
Publisher: Greystone Books
Title: "The Wisdom of Wolves: Lessons from the Sawtooth Pack"
Authors: Jim and Jamie Dutcher
Synopsis: After six years of living in the Idaho wilderness with a pack of gray wolves — three adopted litters that bonded and gave birth to a fourth generation — Jim and Jamie Dutcher found their lives forever changed. Their story reveals intimate moments and fascinating behaviors affirming the sophisticated social world of this animal, much maligned in history and villainized in the present day. Meet the pack's alpha and omega, share the delight of newborn pups, and learn from the Dutchers how living with this group of teachers shaped their sense of what really matters.
Publisher: National Geographic Books
Title: "Among the Aspen: Northwoods Grouse and Woodcock Hunting"
Author: Mark Parman
Synopsis: This book interweaves hunting stories of companionable dogs, lucky days and favorite coverts where quarry lurks are interwoven with ruminations on the demise of hunting traditions, the privatization of places to hunt, the growing indifference to science and the loss of wilderness.
Publisher: University of Wisconsin Press