Readings & Writers for Feb. 11, 2018
The Duluth Public Library offers these events. The library will be closed on Monday for the holiday. Go to duluthlibrary.org or call (218) 730-4200/option 4.
• Bedtime story time, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, West Duluth branch library.
• Toddler time, 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library, green room.
• Preschool story time, 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library.
• Squad Car story time, 3:45 p.m. every other Wednesday, Duluth Public Library Plaza.
• Preschool story time, 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Mount Royal branch library.
Cabin Fever Poetry Reliever, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Lake Superior Writer's Office, Board of Trade building, 301 W. First St., Suite 308. Instructor: Poet Jan Chronister. Cost: $30, $20 for members. Email Gail at email@example.com to register.
"Homefront/Battlefront": Peggy Trojan and Jan Chronister read from their poetry on the subjects of growing up during World War II and the Holocaust, 2 p.m. Feb. 25, Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior. Free.
Zenith Bookstore, 318 N. Central Ave., offers these events. Call (218) 606-1777.
• Children's story time, 10:30-11 a.m. every Tuesday.
• Author Katharine Johnson reads from her book, "The Wind and the Drum," 2 p.m. March 4.
Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall offers these events. Call (218) 786-0710 or go to bn.com.
• "Mother Bruce" story time, 11 a.m. Saturday.
• Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss story time, 11 a.m. Feb. 24.
• Dr. Suess Birthday Celebration, 6:30 p.m. March 2
• "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" story time, 11 a.m. March 3.
Title: "Dive Bartender: Sibling Rivalry"
Author: T.K. O'Neill
Synopsis: Frank Ford is a survivor of 10 long years at the Metropole Bar, where he's babysitter and alcohol dealer to Zenith City's derelict class. Writer T.K. O'Neill introduces Frank in the aftermath of his little brother's funeral. The police lean toward a verdict of suicide for the swollen, pulpy body that washed ashore near the port terminal. Frank thinks it was murder, but he's willing to let it ride. His grieving mother has other ideas.
Publisher: Bluestone Press of Duluth
Cost: $15.95 paperback; $2.99 ebook
Contact info: bluestoneblog.com
Title: "Unintended Consequences: The Lie That Killed Millions and Accelerated Climate Change"
Author: George A. Erickson
Synopsis: "In Unintended Consequences," author George Erickson argues it was a lie that created our extreme radiation safety standards, and he expresses his contempt for "greens" who profit from promoting 30 percent efficient, carbon-reliant solar panels and bird, bat and human-killing CO2-producing windmills, but oppose environment-friendly, CO2-free, 90 percent efficient safe, nuclear power.
Publisher: Amazon Create Space
Cost: $24 or free if you email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to unintended-consequences.org.
Contact info: tundracub.com