- Check out the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon, today through Thursday. Go to www.beargrease.com for a complete list of events and updates
- Don't miss Animal Allies Frozen Fundraiser, 5-8 p.m. today, August Fitger Room, third floor, Fitger's Complex, 600 E. Superior St. Cost: $25 at the door. Call (218) 722-5341.
- Take part in the Lake Superior Ice Festival in Superior, today through Sunday. The weekend kicks off with Great Lakes pond hockey tournament game at 6 p.m. and Guns & Hoses pond hockey game at 7 p.m. Other activities include ice sculptures, ice racing, snow slide, kids' zone, live music and fireworks. Go to www.lakesuperioricefestival.com for complete details.
- Don't miss Beer-grease, 5:30-8:30 p.m. today, Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road. Tickets: $40, limited to 125 people. Go to www.glensheen.org.
- Fish in the United Northern Sportsmen's Club annual ice fishing contest, 12:30-3 p.m. Sunday, Island Lake near UNS headquarters. Call (218) 591-3304 or go to www.unitednorthernsportsmen.org.
- Celebrate Japanese New Year, called Shinnenkai, 6-8 p.m. Monday, Christ Lutheran Church, 320 N. 28th St., Superior. Taste-test exotic foods, try origami and learn more about the Japanese culture. Free. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend "My Memories of Fascism: A Childhood in Hitler's Germany" by Mrs. Leonore Baeumler, 7 p.m. Monday, Bohannon 90, UMD. A reception follows. Free admission.
- Take the kids to "Charlotte's Web," 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, Friday and Saturday as well as 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Marshall Performing Arts Center, Main Stage Theater, UMD. Tickets: $21 for adults, $16 for seniors, $10 for students and $8 for UMD students. Call (218) 726-8561 or go to www.tickets.umn.edu.
- Get your tickets to the grand opening event at NorShor Theatre as they present "Mama Mia," 7 p.m. Thursday, 211 E. Superior St. Black-tie optional. Tickets: $125. Other showings of "Mamma Mia" will be offered at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday as well as 2 p.m. Sunday and other dates through Feb. 18. Call (218) 733-7555 or go to www.duluthplayhouse.org.
• Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Visit www.glensheen.wp.d.umn.edu or call (218) 726-8910.
• Duluth Children's Museum, 115 S. 29th Ave. W., Duluth, offers programs and exhibits for children and families. Hours: 10 a.m. to p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Visit www.playduluth.org or call (218) 733-7543.
• Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans' Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit www.duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
• Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays; noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to www.douglashistory.org.
• Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday through Sunday through March 31. Visit www.glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
• Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays through Mondays; closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Visit www.lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
• North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to www.northshorescenicrailroad.org or call (218) 722-1273 for details.