• Benedictine Health Center Auxiliary's annual pre-owned jewelry and purse sale, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Thursday, May 9, in Westwood Terrace's community room, 925 Kenwood Ave., Duluth. Multiple tables of fashion, vintage and fine jewelry as well as many gently-used purses and accessories. Reduced prices between 2-4 p.m. All proceeds go directly to benefit residents of the Benedictine Living Community.
• Keller Williams "Red Day" is from 3-7 p.m., Thursday, May 9, with a community BBQ hosted by local businesses from 5-7 p.m. This year the local Duluth Keller Williams office has chosen Lester Park as their community give back project day. They will be teaming up with the local community and the city of Duluth to clean, fix and raise money for new picnic tables. Donations for new picnic tables can be made out to: RED DAY- Cheryl Skafte, Duluth Parks and Recreation, 411 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802. For more information, call Darcie Novak, event organizer at 218-780-7036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Eighth annual May Faire Festival: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, May 11, at Peace United Church of Christ, 1111 N. 11th Ave. E., Duluth. Sponsored by Spirit of the Lake Community School. May pole dancing, live music, food, cake walk, face painting, petting zoo, kids crafts, bubbles, field games, jump rope making, flower crowns and braids and more. Admission is free but tickets will be sold for some activities. Food and beverages available for purchase. All proceeds go to Spirit of the Lake Community School to support the new campus.
• St. Louis County Historical Society's VMH 5K Fun Run/ Walk, a fundraiser for the Veterans' Memorial Hall Program, begins at 9 a.m. May 18 at The Other Place Bar and Grille, 3930 E. Calvary Road, Duluth. Registration is $25 per person and can be paid online at www.tempotickets.com/VMH5KRUN2019 or registration forms are available at the administrative office of the St. Louis County Historical Society, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth, or at thehistorypeople.org. Completed forms may be returned with payments (cash or check) to the Society's administrative office. For more information, contact John Werner, Veterans' Memorial Hall Advisory Committee member wernercsm@gmail. com.
• Animal Allies Humane Society's annual Walk for Animals & Furry 5K is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., June 1, at Bayfront Festival Park, 350 Harbor Drive, Duluth.
Participants are encouraged to raise money as individuals or as a group. Those raising money can register at www.theWalkForAnimals.net. Registration is open from now until June 1. Proceeds support Animal Allies programs. Prizes are awarded to the top fundraisers and winners of our silly pet contests. The event is free to attend and open to all two- and four-legged friends.
For more information, visit theWalkFor Animals.net, call 218-722-5341 ext. 221 or visit email@example.com.
• Memorial Blood Centers will offer the following blood drives across the Northland. Call (888) GIVE-BLD (448-3253) or go to mbc.org for eligibility guidelines and to schedule an appointment.
Monday: 7:30-11:30 a.m., South Ridge School, 8162 Swan Lake Road, Saginaw.
Monday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Cherry School, 3943 Tamminen Road, Iron. Sponsored by Cherry School student council. Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Minnesota Sex Offender Program, 1111 Highway 73, Moose Lake.
Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., United Piping, 4510 Airport Road, Duluth.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Pine River Backus High School, 810 First St. W., Pine River.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Mountain Iron-Buhl High School, 5529 Emerald Ave., Mountain Iron.
Thursday: 1-5 p.m., AAR, 4600 Stebner Road, Duluth.
Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Cloquet High School, 1000 18th St.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Denfeld High School, 401 N. 44th Ave. W., Duluth.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Lowe's, 12025 Highway 169 W., Hibbing.
• American Red Cross blood drives: To make an appointment or for more information, download the Red Cross blood donor app, visit redcrossblood.org or call (800) 733-2767.
Thursday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Cuyuna Regional Medical Center, 320 E. Main, Crosby.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Cuyuna Regional Medical Center, 320 E. Main, Crosby.
• Volunteers needed for the 2019 Arrowhead Youth Games for youth with disabilities being held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursday, May 9, at UMD Ward Wells Field House, 1228 University Drive. This annual activity extravaganza introduces over 300 youth from schools across the Northland to a wide variety of adaptive sports and activities. Over 100 volunteers are needed, assisting with activities ranging from adaptive cycling to disc golf. This event is a cooperative effort between regional schools, UMD and Courage Kenny Northland. If interested in volunteering or learning more about this program, email Elizabeth.Albrecht2@allina.com.
• Volunteers needed for Duluth's Lakewalk clean-up. Friends of the Lakewalk and co-hosts Hoops Brewery and the City of Duluth Parks Department are teaming up to clean the Lakewalk beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 11.
Three cleaning and greening sections:
Canal Park - meet at Endion Station bathroom building;
Lakeside - meet at lower East High School parking lot on 40th Avenue East and Third Street;
Lester Park - meet at the Lester Park Super One parking lot.
All necessary supplies will be provided. Volunteers should wear work gloves, sturdy closed-toed shoes and appropriate clothing for weather conditions.
At 11:30 a.m. volunteers will meet at Hoops Brewery for a post-cleanup celebration.
To register, go to www.duluthmn.gov/parks/volunteer/volunteer-calendar. Questions? Contact Jim Topie at firstname.lastname@example.org.