Pull out your warm clothes and get ready for fun in the snow during the Two Harbors Winter Frolic Feb. 7-9.
The annual winter celebration is back with returning favorite events and a few changes.
"By February, the winters start to feel long, especially this winter, so any reason we can have to get out and have some fun in the snow helps," said Rachel Bailey, one of the organizers. "Everyone should embrace the winters here on the North Shore and take advantage of the fun winter activities."
Back this year by popular demand is the Boot Hockey Tournament. The American Legion Post 109 is organizing the tournament set to start at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8. Teams of seven must register before the tournament day to allow for set-up. Teams can register at any time at the Legion. The entry cost is $50 per team.
Also back for the second year is the "Tug" of War event organized by the Friends of the Edna G, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of Two Harbors’ historic tugboat.
The event will use a mooring line as the rope and take place on the golf course, next to the Two Harbors Curling Club. Teams of five people can enter to win one of the cash prizes for the top three teams.
"There were some pretty epic battles last year," Bailey said. "So I'm excited to see how it goes this year."
The entry is $20 per team and doesn't require registration prior to the 2:30 p.m. start time.
There will not be a tent next to the Curling Club, which means the live music performances will be held elsewhere. Friday starting at 8 p.m., Two Bit Revival will play at the Moose Lodge. Music by The Northwood's Band will start at 7 p.m. at the American Legion.
While The Northwood's Band takes a break, the frozen t-shirt contest will return around 9 p.m. Participants receive a Ziploc bag with a t-shirt that has been soaked and frozen.
"You have to get it (the t-shirt) opened and unfrozen enough to get it on," Bailey said. "The first person to get it on wins the cash prize."
Visit twoharborswinterfrolic.com for full event listings and more information.
Winter Frolic events
Thursday, Feb. 6
- Medallion hunt begins. Visit Two Harbors Dairy Queen Facebook page for clues.
- Sliding hill opens at the Two Harbors Curling Club/golf course
- Snow sculpture contest outside the Moose Lodge. Work on sculptures can start Jan. 31 and continues until noon Saturday, Feb. 8 when the winners are announced. Register at the Moose Lodge anytime.
Friday, Feb. 7
- Vendor fair at Moose Lodge from 4-8 p.m.
- Intergenerational Dance Hall with free pizza, root beer floats and live music by Tom Johnson Band from 4-5:30 p.m. at Minnehaha Elementary School cafeteria.
- Community Curling Challenge starts at 5:50 p.m. Registration is required on Winter Frolic website.
- Restaurant chili cook-off begins at 6 p.m. at Curling Club
- City vs. County exhibition curling challenge 6:30 p.m.
- Live music by Two Bit Revival from 8 p.m. to midnight at the Moose Lodge.
Saturday, Feb. 8
- Pancake breakfast 8 a.m. to noon at the Moose Lodge, sponsored by the Lions Club.
Vendor fair at the Moose Lodge from 8 a.m. to noon.
Boot Hockey Tournament at lower hockey rink at 9 a.m. Registration required at the American Legion.
Winter t-ball tournament check in at Curling Club at 9 a.m. Register in advance with Tim.
Photo scavenger hunt starts at 10 a.m. at Cedar Coffee Co.
Open community curling from 10 a.m. to noon at Curling Club.
Vintage snowmobile ride registration from 9-10:45 a.m. at 815 Airport Rd. Ride begins at 11 a.m.
Bean bag tournament held outside the golf course clubhouse starting at 11:30 a.m. Pre-registration required at The Landing or Winter Frolic website.
Bonfire with free s'mores at Curling Club from noon-4 p.m.
Fireman kid's races from 1-2 p.m. outside of the Golf Course clubhouse.
"Tug" of War registration starts at 2:30 p.m., event begins at 3 p.m. on the golf course.
Live music by The Northwood's Band 7-11 p.m. at the American Legion.
Frozen T-shirt contest at the American Legion, approximately 9 p.m. Sign up with the bartender.