Make a Difference
• For every new client who files their taxes with any Twin Ports area H&R Block office or Block advisor, H&R Block will donate $20 to the Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center in Superior.
• Memorial Blood Centers will offer the following blood drives across the Northland. Call (888) GIVE-BLD (448-3253) or go to mbc.org for eligibility guidelines and to schedule an appointment.
Monday: Noon to 3 p.m., Epicurean Cutting Surfaces, 257 B Main St., Superior.
Monday: Noon to 4 p.m., Solon Springs High School, 8993 E. Baldwin.
Monday: 1-8 p.m., Knights of Columbus and St. Lawrence Church, 2410 Morris Thomas Road, Duluth.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., St. Joseph's Catholic Church, 315 S.W. 21st St., Grand Rapids.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Hibbing High School, 800 E. 21st St.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Moose Lake Community School, 413 Birch Ave.
Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Silver Bay High School, 137 Banks Blvd.
Wednesday: Noon to 3 p.m., Floodwood High School, 115 W. Fourth Ave.
Thursday: 9 a.m. to noon, Greenway High School, 308 Roosevelt Ave., Coleraine. Sponsored by Greenway student council.
Thursday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Cook County North Shore Hospital and Care Center, 515 W. Fifth Ave., Grand Marais.
Friday, Jan. 19: 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Duluth Entertainment Convention Center, 350 Harbor Drive. Sponsored by the Arrowhead EMS Conference.
Friday, Jan. 19: 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Mercy Hospital, 710 S. Kenwood Ave., Moose Lake. Sponsored by Mercy Foundation.
Saturday, Jan. 20: 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Duluth Entertainment Convention Center, 350 Harbor Drive. Sponsored by the Arrowhead EMS Conference.
• UMD Theatre's cast of Charlotte's Web, in cooperation with Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall, will perform scenes in the children's section from 11:30 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Jan. 20, to kick off their preview and fundraiser. Purchase a book at Barnes & Noble or online at barnesandnoble.com from Jan. 20-25 using fundraising code 12241063, and all proceeds benefit UMD Theatre scholarships.
• Lakeview Christian Academy is raising money for the American Cancer Society by selling Timberwolves ticket vouchers for $25 each, with $10 of the sale going to the American Cancer Society. Tickets are for the following games: Feb. 11, March 20, 26 and 28, and April 1 and 9. Call (218) 723-8844 to purchase tickets by Jan. 25. Online donations can be made at lakeviewchristianacademy.com.
• The Damiano Center, 206 W. Fourth St. in Duluth, seeks donations of adult outerwear such as coats, insulated boots (especially men sizes 10-13), wool socks, hats, mittens and gloves. Blankets and sleeping bags are also appreciated. New and used items that are clean and serviceable will be accepted. Please, no dirty or torn items. The clothing exchange donation room is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesdays. Call (218) 722-8708 or visit damianocenter.org/clothing-exchange.
• Duluth Playhouse seeks ushers for events at NorShor Theatre. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old and attend one of the following training sessions: 10 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Jan. 20, or 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 27, at the NorShor Theatre. Contact Shad at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (218) 733-7555.
• Pottery Burn in Duluth seeks volunteers to paint bowls during its Empty Bowl classes through March. Finished bowls will be donated to Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank's 25th annual Empty Bowl fundraiser in April. Classes are $15 per person, which includes materials and instruction. Painting can be done at Pottery Burn Studio, 2340 Mountain Shadow Drive, or brought to an organization's location. Call (218) 729-0400.
• Arrowhead Area Agency on Aging seeks professionals or volunteers to become leaders to teach Living Well with Chronic Conditions and Chronic Pain workshops in the Arrowhead Region. Leaders facilitate groups of people with chronic health conditions or chronic pain to help them manage their symptoms, build confidence and maintain an active lifestyle.
People interested in becoming a leader will complete a four-day Chronic Conditions leader training session from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 22, 23, 26 and 27 in Duluth, with the option of an additional two-day cross-training for Chronic Pain from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 28 and March 1 in Grand Rapids. Registration deadline is Feb. 16 and is limited to 16 potential leaders.
Cost is $200 for Chronic Conditions training and $100 for Chronic Pain cross-training. Limited scholarships are available upon request. Go to yourjuniper.org or contact Georgia Lane at (218) 529-7525 or email@example.com for information.