SUBSCRIBE NOW AND SAVE 3 months just 99¢/month

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Bygones: Banks built in Duluth in 1921, 1981

Bygones is researched and written by David Ouse, retired reference librarian from the Duluth Public Library. He can be contacted at djouse49@gmail.com.

Bygones logo.jpg
Gary Meader / gmeader@duluthnews.com

News Tribune, Nov. 26, 1981

  • The Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board has resurrected an emergency public works program that will provide 1,485 temporary jobs beginning next month. The IRRRB will pay $416,000 to provide the jobs over a 16-week period ending in March.
  • Labovitz Enterprises will develop First Bank Place, the bank-office tower to be built on the site of the old Glass Block at Superior Street and Second Avenue West in Duluth. Construction will begin next summer and should be completed by spring of 1984.

News Tribune, Nov. 26, 1921

  • The International Joint Commission yesterday decided to recommend to Congress the construction of the St. Lawrence River ship canal by the United States and Canada. The recommendation will be presented to the U.S. Congress when it convenes in regular session on Dec. 7.
  • Work has begun on the superstructure of the West End's $110,000 bank building at Superior Street and 20th Avenue West. The building, made of granite and cut stone on a steel framework, will be occupied on the first floor by the Duluth State Bank.

Related Topics: HISTORYBYGONES
What to read next
Angela Robertson pinned her daughter, Maddy Robertson, in a swearing-in cermony.
Learn more about this pet looking for a permanent home.
The Lake Superior Ice Festival will bring old favorites and new activities to Barker's Island.
Check out these events in the area.