Bygones: 100 years ago, Duluth's oldest church was sold
News Tribune, July 6, 1920
- Duluthians observed a quiet Independence Day this weekend, with athletic contests, band concerts, park picnics and up-river excursions as the chief means of celebrating. Flags and bunting were prominently displayed from residences and on buildings in the downtown district.
- A cafe car is now operating on Northern Pacific train No. 61, leaving Duluth at 9 a.m. daily except Sundays for St. Paul and Minneapolis. This service is in addition to other NP trains leaving Duluth at 1:55 p.m. and 11:10 p.m. for the Twin Cities.
- The Second Presbyterian Church building at 1515 W. Superior St., the oldest church in Duluth, was sold this weekend to the Pentecostal Mission. A new church will be built by the congregation on Second Street between 26th and 27th avenues west for about $75,000.
- A large party from Duluth leaves this afternoon on the steamship Noronic of the Northern Navigation Company for a 3,000-mile trip through the Great Lakes and down the St. Lawrence River. The tour will visit the cities of Port Arthur, Toronto, and Montreal.
Bygones is researched and written by David Ouse, retired reference librarian from the Duluth Public Library. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.