In order to install bridge deck and girders for the new 27th Avenue West Bridge, the northbound lane of Interstate 35 will be closed two days beginning Friday.
Beginning at 8 p.m., Friday, northbound I-35 will close near 27th Avenue West, rerouting traffic up and back down the 27th Avenue West ramps. Closures are anticipated to last through Saturday evening, a Minnesota Department of Transportation news release said.
The 27th Avenue West Bridge reconstruction is one of the first portions of work related to the $343 million Twin Ports Interchange reconstruction project.
Work on the Twin Ports Interchange reconstruction project is expected to last until 2024, with major construction completed in 2023.
The project is designed to improve safety and freight movement and replace aging, weight-restricted bridge infrastructure.
All exits are moving to the right, and new construction will eliminate blind merges common throughout the existing ramps located in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Duluth.
Further traffic impacts starting Monday will feature permanent ramp closures at Highway 53 and single-lane closures on I-35, including:
- The intersection of Piedmont and West First Street will be closed. Traffic will be detoured.
- Northbound I-35 traffic from 27th Avenue West to Garfield Avenue will be reduced to a single lane.
- The ramp from northbound I-35 to northbound Highway 53 will be permanently closed. New ramps for the interchange are anticipated to open in fall 2023.
- The ramp from Garfield Avenue to northbound I-535 will close between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. for guardrail repair. Traffic will be detoured.
- The ramp from southbound Highway 53 to southbound I-35 will permanently close. New ramps for the interchange are anticipated to open in fall 2023.
MnDOT is conducting its monthly virtual public meeting to update interchange work at 12:15 p.m., Monday.
To join the virtual meeting visit: mndot.gov/d1/projects/twin-ports-interchange/meetings.