HIRES AND PROMOTIONS
• Center for Muscle and Joint Therapy in Superior hired Teresa Zupancich as a physical therapist assistant. Zupancich most recently worked at Benedictine Health Center. She has a physical therapist assistant associate degree from Lake Superior College, a bachelor's degree in corporate and community fitness, and a master's degree in applied kinesiology-sports management.
• Pat McCoy was hired as director of nutrition services at Community Memorial Hospital and Sunnyside Health Care Center in Cloquet. McCoy previously worked for 22 years as director of nutrition services at Mary Lanning Healthcare in Hastings, Neb. She holds a bachelor's degree in food nutrition from University of Nebraska-Lincoln and a master's degree in institutional management and industrial engineering from Kansas State University in Manhattan.
• Ameriprise Financial Services in Hibbing hired Michael Furlong as a financial advisor. Furlong previously worked as a funeral director at Dougherty Funeral Home in Hibbing and, before that, was the co-owner of Peterson Funeral Chapel in Coleraine. He holds an associate's degree from Hibbing Community College and a bachelor's degree from University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
• Casey Sjolund of Duluth was hired as a network engineer by TLX Communications. Sjolund most recently worked for the State of Montana. He holds a degree in political science from University of Minnesota Duluth and a master's degree in geographic information systems from University of North Dakota in Grand Forks.
• Ted Ells was hired as manager of donated goods retail for Goodwill Industries of Duluth. Ells previously worked as field collections and policy supervisor for Minnesota Power. He is a member of the Army National Guard and has a master's degree in business administration from the College of St. Scholastica.
• Lake Superior College hired Daniel Fanning as executive director of institutional advancement and the Lake Superior College Foundation. Fanning most recently served as director of communications, marketing and government relations at University of Wisconsin-Superior. He holds a bachelor's degree in political science from UWS and a master's degree in advocacy and political leadership from University of Minnesota Duluth. He is also an Army veteran.
• Duluth law firm Falsani, Balmer, Peterson and Quinn promoted Stephanie Balmer of Duluth to full partner. Balmer is a graduate of William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul and has been with the law firm for 12 years.
• Barbara Carr was named executive director of Hermantown Area Chamber of Commerce. Prior to joining the chamber, Carr owned a State Farm Insurance agency. She also served as president of the Junior League of Duluth and as chair of the city of the Duluth Community Development Committee.
• St. Ann's Board of Directors named Harry Podgorski the board director emeritus. Podgorksi first joined St. Ann's Senior Residence community when his mother moved there in 1999. Since the, he has volunteered in multiple ways and served on the board of directors from 2008-14. During his service, he was the board's representative on the resident council.
• St. Luke's announced Dr. Kathryn Thompson, a pain management specialist with St. Luke's Interventional Pain Management, is now treating patients once a month at Lake View Hospital in Two Harbors. Thompson earned her medical degree at Mayo Medical School in Rochester, Minn., and completed her anesthesiology residency at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. She is board certified in pain medicine.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
• Lindquist and Co., Kitchens and Baths of Duluth was awarded Best of Customer Service by Houzz, a leading website for home design and remodeling. Kitchens and Baths was chosen by Houzz for its number and quality of client reviews.
• U.S. News and World Report named Sunnyside Health Care Center in Cloquet one of the Best Nursing Homes in Minnesota for 2016-17.
• Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board was named 2016 Most Valuable Partner by Arrowhead Manufacturers and Fabricators Association Educational Trust. IRRRB was honored for having supported AMFA for the past 16 years through its support for the AMFA Educational Trust golf socials at Giants Ridge Golf Course, its partnership in promoting the region's manufacturing capabilities at the annual FabTech Expo and its partnership in launching AMFAconnect.com.
• Voyageurs National Park received the 2016 Midwest Region Champion Award from the National Park Service. Voyageurs was recognized for promoting community involvement in national parks, conservation and stewardship in neighboring communities. Through its $150,000 three-year Landmark Grant, Voyageurs has helped the National Park Service make connections with inner city youth, create new partnerships, further scientific research and land-based projects, and increase education contacts.
• Lutsen Mountains Ski and Summer Resort was named Best in the Midwest in familyskier.com's list of Best Family Ski Resorts. Lutsen was chosen for its terrain and welcoming family-setting based on input from a panel of ski enthusiasts, parents and other ski bloggers.
• Andrew Peterson, an attorney with Duluth's Cope and Peterson, was certified as a Real Property Law Specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association Board. To earn the certification, Peterson passed a written exam and disciplinary check, and underwent rigorous approval process by area judges and attorneys.
• Buzz Frenzy, an automated online marketing company, launched this month in Room 905 at 311 E. Superior St. in Duluth. Buzz Frenzy works in partnership with Duluth marketing agency Aimclear. Cofounder and CEO Dan Stocke and director of business development Elissa Hansen can be reached at (218) 461-9454 or buzzfrenzy.com.
• St. Luke's will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house celebration for its Miller Creek Medical Clinic from noon to 3 p.m. today at 4190 Loberg Avenue in Hermantown.
• Maureen's LLC Kitchen and Bath Design Studio celebrates their new location with an open house from 4-6 p.m. Thursday in Suite 4 at 4504 Grand Ave. in Duluth. Guests will see the new showroom and meet the designers. Refreshments will be served. Email email@example.com to RSVP.
• Lawrence Leasing, the operator of Lawrence NationaLease, a commercial trucking company with an office in Cloquet, announced its owner LTX was acquired by Rihm Family Cos. based in St.Paul. Rihm has a Kenworth truck dealership in Superior.