- Member for
- 3 years 9 months
An insurance company has agreed to pay nearly $9 million to victims of child sexual abuse as part of the first settlement reached in the Diocese of Duluth’s bankruptcy case. Nebraska-based Catholic Mutual Relief Society of America is one of five insurers that were sued by the diocese, which filed for bankruptcy nearly two years ago and sought to force coverage of 125 abuse claims.
Prosecutors are appealing a judge's ruling that tossed the most serious charges against a man shot by Hibbing police officers after an altercation in January. Sixth Judicial District Judge Mark Starr last month granted a defense motion dismissing an attempted second-degree murder charge and three counts of first-degree assault against 24-year-old Che Nathaniel Jones.
Duluth police investigator John Barrett recognizes that traditional law enforcement techniques often don't work for sexual assault victims. In fact, intrusive interviews and evidence collection procedures can actually have negative impacts on investigations, he said. Peppered with questions, victims can feel like they're being unfairly judged. Struggling to get answers, investigators can become skeptical of the victims' claims.
MINNEAPOLIS — A federal discrimination lawsuit brought against the University of Minnesota Duluth by three former women's sports coaches appears headed to trial, though a judge indicated Monday that he's inclined to toss parts of the case. During a three-hour hearing, U.S. District Judge Patrick Schiltz expressed skepticism over arguments made by both sides in the university's motion for summary judgment.
The future of an $18 million discrimination lawsuit brought against the University of Minnesota Duluth by three former women's sports coaches will be on the line in a Minneapolis courtroom Monday. The university's attorneys will argue that former women's hockey coach Shannon Miller, former softball coach Jen Banford and former women's basketball coach Annette Wiles have failed to produce evidence that they were forced from their positions due to age, gender, sexual orientation or national origin.
A Duluth man who rung in the new year by breaking into a residence and holding two women against their will while discussing his "whole life story" has been sentenced to more than eight years in prison. Phillip Julius Butenhoff Jr., 32, received a 100-month sentence Wednesday from 6th Judicial District Judge David Johnson after earlier pleading guilty to three felony charges. Authorities said Butenhoff was attending a New Year's party in the city's Endion neighborhood when he broke into the nearby residence to steal electronics and ended up threatening the residents.
The St. Louis County Courthouse in Virginia is poised to see its second new judge this year. The Minnesota Commission on Judicial Selection officially announced Monday that it is seeking applicants for a seat that will become vacant with next month’s mandatory retirement of 6th Judicial District Judge Terrence Aronson. Aronson, who will turn 70, was appointed in 2001 by then-Gov. Jesse Ventura and has been re-elected to three six-year terms. He has mostly presided over family law and other types of civil cases during his tenure.
One of three men charged in connection with a February shooting between moving cars on Interstate 35 in Duluth has pleaded guilty to a felony charge. Nicholas Marvin Lamerand, 22, admitted to being a felon in possession of a firearm Monday in State District Court. His sentencing was set for Dec. 18.
The grants awarded by the Duluth Police Foundation aren't the type that get presented with giant checks and flashy photo-ops. Most awards given out in the four-year-old organization's history are modest: $600 to purchase uniforms for volunteers who assist police at major events, $500 to train and equip elementary school patrols, $2,500 to recruit and train new law-enforcement chaplains. But those small contributions are often what those volunteer groups and nonprofits need to participate in important public safety initiatives, said foundation vice president Peggy Johnson.
GRAND RAPIDS — A 23-year-old woman who admitted to beheading a Hibbing man after an alleged sexual assault received forgiveness from the victim’s family but a maximum sentence from the judge. Kayleene Danielle Greniger, 23, was sentenced Monday to more than 30 years in prison for her role in the June 2016 slaying of 20-year-old David Alexander Haiman.