Donald E. Maypole
Domestic and international political changes are having profound effects on our lives. Democracy, as Americans know it, is waning.
Recently, President Donald Trump claimed successes. But he and conservatives have produced a president: • Who insults our allies and flatters enemies like Russia and China. • Who unnecessarily adds $1.5 trillion to the national debt and doubles our annual budget deficit (twice what it was under President Barack Obama). • Who has been sexually inappropriate toward women and who reportedly paid $130,000 to a porn star and $150,000 to a Playboy model in hush money. • Who has induced an unheard-of 40 or so departures from his cabinet and federal agencies
Do Americans really want the U.S. to be a country controlled by the top 1 percent, for its benefit, with most of the remaining 99 percent of us accepting the crumbs? This would take our country back — into feudal Europe (with nobles and peasants). The growing, disastrous, national, Republican-induced wealth inequality — brought about by unjustified, never-ending, costly wars (costly in money and in lives) and exorbitant tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations — will accomplish that.
Rightly so, many women are finding their voices to publicly describe experiencing sexual harassment at work. Politicians, movie stars, and businessmen all have been identified as harassers. But there is much more to the problem than just these events we've been reading about.
It is a fact that farmers in the Southwest and in other parts of the country need immigrant farm workers to harvest their crops. To think this need could be met from the ranks of the American unemployed is impractical. Moreover, to think that a $22 billion wall will stop illegal immigration on the southern border is naïve. Instead, what can be done?
We have many crises the president and Congress should be addressing. But with our present no-show House of Representatives and general Republican obstructionism, it doesn’t look promising that our domestic problems will be resolved or our international standing maintained.
National Republicans continue to use inaccurate information to support their arguments that Democratic administrations are the big tax-and-spenders and created the present income inequality gap.
Can someone point to one job created by the Republicans in Congress in the last 10 years? Three million jobs have been created under President Barack Obama in the last five years. The creation of these jobs and more are needed to deal with our income inequality.