• Now through Dec. 6 — Wisconsin muzzleloader deer season.
• Now through Dec. 10 — Minnesota muzzleloader deer season.
• Dec. 30 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes entirely within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• Jan. 13 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes outside or partly outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• March 31 — Brule River steelhead opener.
• May 5 — Wisconsin general fishing opener.
• May 12 — Minnesota general fishing opener.
"I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe."
— ALICE WALKER, American novelist
DO IT: Beat the ice
Most trails around the Northland are icy these days. But with proper ice cleats, you can walk, run or even fat-bike with some degree of safety (there are no guarantees). Check a hardware store, outdoor shop or bike shop and inquire about ice-gripping options. There are some excellent products on the market. For added safety, use a pair of ski poles with sharp tips.