Weather Forecast


Ask a conservation officer: Trout stamp needed on trout lakes, streams

Q: Is a trout stamp required to fish the smaller lakes and streams away from Lake Superior?

A: A Minnesota trout stamp is required to fish in any designated trout lake or designated trout stream in Minnesota, as well as anywhere in Minnesota's waters of Lake Superior. The stamp is required of anglers ages 18-64.

You can find a list of designated lakes and streams on the DNR website at Trout stamp dollars help to support the management and stocking of these designated lakes and streams.

There are other lakes where trout may be present that are not designated trout lakes; a trout stamp is not required for general angling in these lakes but is required if you are pursuing or keeping trout species. For further information, see the DNR website.

Matthew S. Miller is a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources conservation officer with the Lake Superior Marine Unit. Send your questions to