Crex Meadows Wildlife Area near Grantsburg offers these events. Go to crexmeadows.org or call (715) 463-2739.
* Wildlife experience weekend, 5-8 p.m. Saturday, 4-7 a.m. May 18 and 7-10 a.m. May 18
* Songbird banding, 7 a.m. to noon May 31. Free. Registration required.
* Explore bowhunting workshop, ages 11-17, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 7. Registration required by May 23. Free.
* Botany talks and walks, 1-4 p.m. June 8. Topic: Wildflower ID
* Mug and mammal morning hikes, 8:30-10 a.m. June 14, July 12 and Aug. 9. Free.
* Wildlife ethics, for high school students, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 19 and June 26. Cost: $5 per day or $8 for both sessions.
* Wild edibles, 6-8 p.m. June 25. Cost: $5. Registration required.
* WILD women workshop, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 19. Cost: $10. Registration required.
* Botany talks and walks, 1-4 p.m. July 20. Topic: Ferns and club moss
* Paddle Phantom, 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 2. Rent a kayak for $20 or bring your own. Registration required.
* Outdoor skills camp, for ages 10-15, 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 4-7. Free. Registration required.
* Botany talks and walks, 1-4 p.m. Aug. 17. Topic: Grass ID
* Crex for Kids Camp, for ages 8-12, 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 25-28. Free. Registration required.
Monday evening mountain bike rides, 6 p.m. Mondays. Call Ski Hut at (218) 724-8525 each week for location. Free.
Duluth Audubon Society spring warbler walks with Larry and Jan Kraemer, 6:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning Tuesday through May. On Tuesdays, meet at the small paved Western Waterfront Trail parking lot across from the zoo, next to the Tappa Keg — not the large lot behind the Munger Inn. On Thursdays, meet at the Park Point Recreation Center parking lot near the soccer field. Free.
Duluth Retriever Club “Train the trainer” classes begin 6 p.m. Tuesday at the clubhouse, 5476 Lester River Road. Cost: $50 for a DRC membership, $50 for 10-class session and $20 for a training DVD. Email DRCsecretary@gmail.com to register. Go to duluthretrieverclub.net for more details.
Lake Superior Chapter of Muskies Inc., 7 p.m. Tuesday, Mr. D’s, 5622 Grand Ave. Speaker: Dustin Carlson of Northland Muskie Adventures Guide Service on the St. Louis River.
Proctor Gun Club trap league and open shooting, 3:30 p.m. to dark Wednesdays, U.S. Highway 2, one mile north of Proctor. Call (218) 724-7895.
Superior Trap & Gun Club summer league shooting, 4 p.m. to dark Wednesdays through Aug. 27, 5642 Wisconsin Highway 35, Superior. A six-week doubles league will start July 2.
Lake Superior Steelhead Association quarterly meeting, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Hartley Nature Center, 3001 Woodland Ave. Guest speaker from the St. Louis County Public Works Department on constructing culverts and bridges over trout streams.
Volunteers needed to assist at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway with youth and family programs, river clean-ups and other events. Attend the volunteer information event from 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Namekagon River Visitor Center. Call (715) 635-8346 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Go to nps.gov/sacn.
Thursday Night Fly Tying Get Together, 7 p.m. Thursday, Great Lakes Fly Shop, 4426 Regent St. Free. Call (218) 740-3040.
Superior Hiking Trail guided spring hike, 10 a.m. Saturday, Lutsen Mountain Recreation Area to Caribou Trail. Meet at the Caribou Trail parking lot. At Highway 61 milepost 92 turn left on Caribou Trail (Cook County Road 4) and go 4.1 miles to County Road 94 (watch for SHT sign). Turn right and take immediate left to trailhead parking lot. Call (218) 834-2700 or email email@example.com.
Brule River State Forest annual spring public meeting, 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Brule Ranger Station, 6250 South Ranger Road, Brule. Topic: Planned and completed land management activities in the Brule River State Forest. Call Dave at (715) 372-5678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arrowhead Fly Fishers club meeting, 7 p.m. May 20, Clyde Iron Works Restaurant, 2920 W. Michigan St. Speaker: Theodore Angradi on fly fishing for muskies around Duluth.
Brule-St. Croix Chapter of the North Country Trail Association offers these guided hikes in the Solon Springs area. Hikes depart at 9 a.m. (unless noted) from KD’s Restaurant in Solon Springs. Go to northcountrytrail.org/bsc, email email@example.com or call (715) 292-3484.
* May 24: Solon Springs to Leo Creek
* June 8: National Trails Day Hike — 10 a.m. at Highland Town Hall
* June 22: Brule-St. Croix Historic Portage — 1 p.m.
* July 5: Bird Sanctuary
* July 26: Hiker’s choice
* Aug. 9: Solon Springs North to Reinsberg Road
* Aug. 23: Solon Springs South to Leo Creek
* Aug. 30: Labor Day weekend hike — Brule-St. Croix Boardwalk
* Sept. 6: Brule-St. Croix Historic Portage
* Sept. 20: Bird Sanctuary
* Sept. 27: North Country Trail Day celebration
* Oct. 11: West Mail Road to Two Bridges Road
Old Vermilion Trail sporting clays summer league and open shooting, begins May 27, 6980 Old Vermilion Trail. Hours: 4 p.m. to dark Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays for first two weeks, then noon to dark. Call (218) 721-3804.
River Talks, science talks about the estuary, 7 p.m. May 27, Clyde Iron Works Restaurant, 2920 W. Michigan St. Go to lsnerr.uwex.edu/events.html.
Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center, 7328 Boulder Dam Road, offers these events. Call (218) 721-3731, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to boulderlake.org.
* Minnesota Phenology: Monitoring Seasonal Changes webinar, May 28
* St. Louis River Watershed Educator Workshop – session I, June 10-11
* What’s New in Green Building Standards? webinar, June 17
* St. Louis River Watershed Educator Workshop – session II, June 18-19
* Talking with Landowners about Intergenerational Land Transfer webinar, July 15
* Minnesota Master Naturalist volunteer training, July 28-Aug. 1
* Minnesota Master Naturalist volunteer training, Aug. 18-22
* Sasquatch Scramble Obstacle 5K Run, Sept. 6
Voyageurs National Park’s boat tours begin June 15 and depart from Rainy Lake and Kabetogama Lake visitor centers. You can reserve your dates now. Call (877) 444-6777 or go to recreation.gov.
Arrowhead Fly Fishers annual potluck picnic, 5 p.m. June 17, Chambers Grove Park in Fond du Lac on the St. Louis River. Brats and dogs provided. Bring a dish to share.
Arrowhead Fly Fishers women’s retreat, June 27-29, Crooked Lake Resort in Finland. Reservations required by June 1. Call Laurie at (218) 525-6239 or email email@example.com.
Kraus-Anderson Bike Duluth Festival, Aug. 16-17, in Duluth. Features Enduro race, guided trail rides and hikes, downshill race, voyageurs revenge race and party at Chester Bowl. Go to bikeduluthfestival.com for details.
If you have a meeting notice or other item to submit to Outdoors Notes, you can email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it (218) 720-4120, attention Outdoors Notes. Deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Tuesday before the Sunday of publication. If you have any questions, call Kris at (218) 723-5322.