Bulldogs, Saints going for gold in Olympic hockey tournaments
Twelve from the Minnesota Duluth men's and women's hockey programs are taking part in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The St. Scholastica women's hockey program has three alumni in the Olympics. Here's the rundown:
Bulldogs in the Olympics
Maddie Rooney (2015-present)
- The junior goalie is taking a redshirt season to play in her first Olympics.
Sidney Morin (2013-17)
- A captain during her junior and senior seasons at UMD, the defenseman is making her first Olympic appearance
Brigette Lacquette (2011-15)
- The defenseman is making her first Olympic appearance after centralized, but not chosen, in 2014 in Sochi.
Haley Irwin (2007-12)
- The former UMD captain and forward is making her third Olympic appearance after winning gold with Canada in 2010 and 2014.
Jocelyne Larocque (2007-11)
- A two-time national champion at UMD, the defenseman is appearing in her second Olympics after winning gold in 2014.
Coach: Laura Schuler (UMD assistant 2008-15)
- An assistant coach under Shannon Miller for seven seasons, Schuler is coaching Canada in her first Olympics after winning a silver medal as a player in 1998.
Lara Stalder (2013-17)
- The leading scorer in NCAA Division I last season is playing in her second Olympics after helping Switzerland win bronze in 2014 in Sochi.
Pernilla Winberg (2008-13)
- The former UMD forward is appearing in her fourth Olympics (2006, 10, 14, 18) and seeking her first medal since winning silver in 2006.
Maria Lindh (2014-17)
- The forward would have been a senior at UMD this season, but she graduated in the spring and returned to Sweden to prepare for her second Olympics.
Eveliina Suonpaa (2015)
- This is the first Olympics for the goaltender who spent just one semester at UMD in 2015.
Coach: Sarah Murray (2006-10)
- A two-time champion at UMD, this is Murray’s first Olympics as a player or coach.
Mason Raymond (2005-07)
- Currently playing for SC Bern in Switzerland after wrapping up a 10-season NHL career in 2016, Raymond is making his first Olympic appearance at 32 years old.
Saints in the Olympics
Monika Waidacher (2001-14)
- The oldest Waidacher sister is playing in her first Olympics
- A three-time captain for the Saints, this is her second Olympics after winning bronze in 2014 in Sochi
Isabel Waidacher (2013-14)
- The youngest Waidacher sister is playing in her first Olympics