Weather Forecast


Dallas Seavey wins Iditarod in close, chaotic finish

Dallas Seavey sits under the burled arch in Nome, Alaska, after winning the 2014 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race on Tuesday, March 11, 2014. The dogs wearing the rose garlands are Seavey's team leaders, Beatle and Reef. (Bob Hallinen/Anchorage Daily News/MCT)

Dallas Seavey won his second Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in three years on Tuesday, unseating his father, Mitch, as defending champion while breaking the race record for fastest time.

The 26-year-old Seavey and his canine team finished the 42nd annual, 1,000-mile race through the Alaskan wilderness and into the coastal community of Nome in 8 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 19 seconds.

High winds whirled snow over the final stretch of the race, compelling leader and four-time champion Jeff King to drop out just 25 miles from the finish line. That left two-time runner-up Aliy Zirkle, 44, of Two Rivers, Alaska, in the lead, until she decided to take shelter from the storm at Safety, the race's final checkpoint before Nome.

Dallas Seavey didn't stop at Safety, and Zirkle gave pursuit 19 minutes later - ultimately finishing as runner-up for the third year in a row. She finished just over two minutes behind Seavey, the second-closest finish in race history.

Seavey told the finish-line crowd he had no idea he won; afterward Zirkle said she didn't know that she passed King before the last checkpoint, but knew she trailed Seavey.

"It just hit me a minute ago that I won the dang thing," Seavey said after the race. "I thought I had just beat my dad for third."

Seavey's win breaks John Baker's 2011 record by more than five hours. For Seavey, of Willow, Alaska, it was his sixth straight top-10 finish.

"It means my dad only had bragging rights for a year," Seavey told the crowd after being declared the winner. "It means that we are doing things right. It means once again that I've had the honor of driving the best dog team in the world."

King, 58, who dropped out a few miles from the last checkpoint in Safety, Alaska, reported that winds became so severe that he was having difficulty navigating the trail, race officials said. He became the 18th racer in the 69-team field to withdraw. Had King prevailed, he would have been the first to win five races.

Winds ranged from 15 to 25 miles per hour with gusts reaching about 40 mph in the race's final hours, according to the National Weather Service.

Temperatures ranged from 2 to -7 degrees Fahrenheit, it said.

Seavey takes home the $50,400 purse, the winner's share of prize money exceeding $650,000 and a Chrysler Ram truck.

As of Tuesday morning, musher Nathan Schroeder of Chisholm - competing in his first Iditarod after winning the Northland's John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon three times - was resting at the Elim checkpoint, about 120 miles from the finish. He was in 22nd place of the 51 teams still on the trail.

Schroeder was running in second place among rookies, having arrived in Elim about four hours behind fellow rookie Abbie West.

The punishing round-the-clock marathon commemorates a rescue mission that carried diphtheria serum by sled-dog relay to Nome in 1925. While most competitors are from Alaska, the race has drawn entrants from as far away as Norway, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Sweden and Jamaica.

The News Tribune contributed to this report.