• Sept. 1 — Minnesota bear hunting opener.
• Sept. 1-7 — Wisconsin early teal season.
• Sept. 1-15 — Wisconsin early goose season.
• Sept. 2 — Minnesota early Canada goose hunting season.
• Sept. 6 — Wisconsin bear season opens in some zones, consult regulations.
• Sept. 7 — Minnesota antlerless deer lottery deadline.
• Sept. 9 — Minnesota youth waterfowl day (tentative).
• Sept. 16 — Minnesota archery deer and grouse hunting openers; Wisconsin archery and crossbow deer opener; Wisconsin grouse hunting opener in Zone A; Wisconsin goose season opener in exterior zone, north.
• Sept. 16-17 — Wisconsin youth waterfowl hunt
• Sept. 23 — Minnesota waterfowl opener (tentative); Minnesota and Wisconsin woodcock hunting opener; Wisconsin waterfowl opener in north zone.
• Sept. 30 — Minnesota fall turkey season opener and prairie chicken season.
• Oct. 4-10 — Wisconsin bear season in all zones other than Zone C with bait and other legal methods not using dogs.
• Oct. 7-8 — Wisconsin youth deer hunt.
• Oct. 14 — Minnesota pheasant opener.
• Nov. 4-19 — Minnesota firearms deer season in Series 100 units.
• Nov. 18-26 — Wisconsin gun deer season.
• Nov. 25-Dec. 10 — Minnesota muzzleloader deer season.
• Nov. 27-Dec. 6 — Wisconsin muzzleloader deer season.
Consult regulations for other seasons.
"There may be more to learn by climbing the same mountain a hundred times than by climbing a hundred different mountains."
— RICHARD K. NELSON, American author
DO IT: Hike Wolf Rock
In "Hiking the North Shore," author Andrew Slade describes a nice 2.5-mile segment of the Superior Hiking Trail. The hike takes you up quickly to Wolf Rock, with commanding views inland and over Lake Superior. Continue on the trail from there to a short spur trail, then return. The trailhead is 2.3 miles from Minnesota Highway 61 up County Road 106 (near the Rustic Inn) and Township Road 617. Trailhead is on right. For more information, go to the Superior Hiking Trail website at www.shta.org.