Outdoors Notes for June 18, 2017
Positive Energy Outdoors offers these summer camps and club programs for grades K-12, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.. Call (218) 391-0147 or go to outdooredventures.org to register.
• Monday through Friday: Boots and Bridles Draft Horse Camp for grades 2-8
• Monday through Aug. 25: Summer Adventure Club for grades K-6.
• July 10-14: One Belay Climbing Camp for grades 2-8
• July 24-28: Paddle, Climb, Camp for grades 6-8
• Aug. 21-25: Girls Outdoor Adventures for grades 2-8
Arrowhead Fly Fishers Club Picnic, Tuesday, Chambers Grove Park, Duluth. Potluck dinner begins at 5:30 p.m. Brats, hot dogs and condiments provided. Bring something to share. Come about 4 p.m. and fish.
League and open shooting, 2 p.m. to dusk Wednesdays, Proctor Gun Club, 5389 Highway 2. Looking for new shooters and teams. Call (218) 393-8927.
Superior Trap Club, 5642 Wisconsin 35, Superior, offers trap and junior trap shooting from 5 p.m. until dark Wednesdays through September. Clubhouse opens at 4 p.m. Call Rick at (715) 399-8528 to register. Go to superiortrapclub.com.
Jay Cooke State Park, in Carlton, offers these events. Meet at River Inn Interpretive Center unless noted. Go to mndnr.gov or call (218) 673-7011.
• 4-5 p.m. Friday, Geocaching 101.
• 8-9 p.m. Friday, Life of a Voyageur
• 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Paint in the Park for ages 15 and older. Meet inside picnic shelter at River Inn Interpretive Center. Cost: $36. Call (218) 673-7008 for required pre-registration.
• 2-3 p.m. Saturday, Rock Talk Walk.
• 1-3 p.m. June 25, Thomson Hydroelectric Tour, for ages 10 and older. You need to drive your own vehicle for the tour. Register at (218) 673-7005.
• 4-4:30 p.m. June 26: Jr. Naturalists - Beavers. Meet at the amphitheater behind the park office.
• 8-9 p.m. June 26: Evening stroll with a naturalist.
• 4-5 p.m. June 27: St. Louis River Walk.
• 8-9 p.m. June 27: Orienteering 101.
• 8-9 p.m. June 28: Wolf Ecology.
• 1-2:30 p.m. June 29: Nature Play: Sneaking Up on Birds.
• 8-9 p.m. June 29: Minnesota State Symbols.
Superior Hiking Trail Association offers a guided hike from Fox Farm to Rossini Road, 10 a.m. Saturday. Meet at Rossini Road trailhead parking lot for this 6.4-mile hike. Leashed, friendly dogs are welcome. Go to shta.org/news-events/guided-hikes/.
North Country Trail Association's Brule-St. Croix Chapter offers these hikes:
• July 1: Brule Bog Boardwalk. Five-mile hike. Meet at K.D.'s Restaurant in Solon Springs.
• Aug. 19 - Highland Town Hall to Gaylord Nelson Portal. 5.5-mile hike. Meet at Sharon's Lakeview Restaurant in Lake Nebagamon.
Trails 101, for those who prefer to move very slowly only, 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning July 11 to Oct. 12. Weekday trails will be easy runs ranging from two to four miles. Optional challenge runs are available on weekends. Cost: $60 by Thursday or $70, kids free with a paid attending adult. Call (218) 355-0960 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute offers these events. Call (218) 726-4834 or email email@example.com to register.
• Aug. 2: Adaptive waterski clinic No. 1 on Pike Lake
• Aug. 6: Split Rock Lighthouse kayak day trip No. 1
• Aug. 9: Adaptive waterski clinic No. 2 on Pike Lake
• Aug. 12: Try scuba clinic; location tbd
• Aug. 13: Split Rock Lighthouse kayak day trip No. 2
• Aug. 16: Sea caves kayak day trip in Bayfield
Hartley Nature Center offers summer day camps for ages 3-12, through Aug. 18. They also offer counselor in training programs for ages 13 and older. Go to hartleynature.org for details.