Suspected Montevideo shooter had history of protection orders
MONTEVIDEO – A man who authorities believe shot and wounded a woman Tuesday, July 10, in Montevideo before turning the gun on himself was scheduled to be in court next week on two separate charges of violating an order for protection filed by another woman.
David Dale Schwartz, 55, of Foley, died at the scene of the shooting, which occurred shortly before noon Tuesday.
Montevideo Police Chief Adam Christopher said the preliminary investigation indicates Schwartz shot Angela Marie Haugerud, 41, at her rental home.
Haugerud was found on the front steps of her home with two separate gunshot wounds and is currently in the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.
Schwartz was found dead inside the house.
Christopher said it’s believed Haugerud and Schwartz had dated in the past.
Schwarz pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor domestic abuse charges in June and was scheduled to appear for a pre-trial hearing July 17. He had been released on bail following his court appearances.
The court dismissed the charges Wednesday afternoon.
Christopher said the investigation is ongoing, adding Haugerud had undergone surgery, and once she is physically able, police hope to talk to her about the incident.