Weather Forecast


Police: Man fired shots at another outside Virginia bar

Authorities are searching for a man who allegedly fired gunshots at another man outside a downtown Virginia bar early Saturday morning.

Michael Antwan Johnson, 29, was charged by warrant Wednesday with being a felon in possession of a firearm, second-degree assault and endangering safety by intentional discharge of a firearm. The charges came two days after an arrest warrant was issued when Johnson failed to appear in court for sentencing in burglary and drunken-driving cases.

In the latest incident, Johnson is accused of firing four rounds from a stolen .45-caliber revolver at another man outside the Sports Palace bar, 509 Chestnut St., about 2 a.m. Saturday.

According to the criminal complaint, an officer on patrol was approached by several people who were running and screaming on the 100 block of Fifth Avenue South. “There is a guy over there shooting at people,” one woman yelled, pointing to the Sports Palace.

Officers found a man identified as Hakim Cook-Bey running in a nearby alley. Cook-Bey told officers in a later statement that he entered the bar and saw a man inside the doorway who he knew by the name “Tweezy.” The man produced and cocked a gun, and Cook-Bey took off running.

Cook-Bey told police he ran east along Chestnut Street and heard shots being fired at him. He ran close to parked cars in an effort to avoid the bullets, and he eventually found an opening between two buildings. Cook-Bey said he heard a total of four or five rounds.

A woman named Kirbie Glowaski told police that she rode in a car with Cook-Bey to the Sports Palace. While he went into the bar, Glowaski stayed outside and spoke with a friend.

About two minutes later, Glowaski saw Cook-Bey run outside, according to the complaint. She told police that a man she knew as “Tweezy” ran after him.

Glowaski said she saw the man fire three to five shots from a silver and black revolver immediately after he exited the bar.

Officers searched Chestnut Street for any signs of shots fired. No shell casings were found, but damage was found on the windshield of a car. Police said the damage appeared to come from a shotgun-type ammunition round, and several small BB-type holes were visible.

Later, an officer found a revolver on the 200 block of Fifth Avenue South. The revolver contained four spent shells, and a trace of the serial number determined that it had been stolen in November. The gun was sent to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension for further analysis.

Through the use of law enforcement records, officers were able to determine that “Tweezy” was a nickname for Michael Johnson. Officers were not able to locate him, and his whereabouts are still unknown.

Johnson has prior convictions for second-degree aggravated robbery, simple robbery and aggravated harassment. On Monday, he failed to show up to a sentencing hearing on charges of first-degree burglary and driving while intoxicated, prompting the judge to issue an arrest warrant.

The St. Louis County Attorney’s Office notified the court in the complaint that it intends to seek a longer-than-guideline sentence for Johnson should he be convicted on the charges, citing his prior violent-crime convictions and a “danger to public safety.”

Anyone with information about Johnson is asked to contact the the Virginia Police Department’s investigation unit by calling 911 or (218) 748-7510.