Weather Forecast


One man wounded in shooting near Duluth's Whole Foods Co-op

Police keep an eye on activity and interview witnesses in a shooting that happened near Whole Foods Co-op on Tuesday. (Bob King /

One man was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to the leg and his attacker was still being sought by Duluth police Tuesday night, following a shooting near the Whole Foods Co-op in East Hillside, according to police and witnesses.

The victim, whose name was not released, was taken to Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center for treatment. Police said the victim’s injury was not considered life-threatening.

Police were called at 5:51 p.m. to the scene at Seventh Avenue East below Fourth Street. The incident appeared to be sparked by an argument among a group of young men who knew each other, police said.

Police said three males were fighting in an alley over a bag the victim had. During the dispute, the suspect pulled out a handgun and shot the victim, identified only as a 21-year-old Duluth man, in the leg.

The suspect is described as a black man, 18 to 19 years old, 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-8 with a thin build. He was wearing a white T-shirt and black pants with dark shoes, police reported.

The suspect was spotted running east through a nearby alley with the victim’s bag. Police said they recovered the weapon nearby. Authorities stressed that the suspect and victim knew each other and that this was not a random incident.

The shooting led to confusion outside the popular market, and resulted in police blocking off portions of the surrounding streets as they conducted their investigation.

One witness said he heard an argument outside the store seconds before the shooting.

Jim Bunnell said he was standing outside when he heard one man yell, “I’m gonna get you back,” followed by the sound of gunfire. Bunnell said he heard “a loud ‘pow’.” He then saw a man running down the street.

Another witness at the scene said he saw a man who fired the shot flee down East Fourth Street in the direction of the Maytag Laundry.

A man who lives in the neighborhood said police detained two people and put them in handcuffs, but later released them.

Another neighbor said she heard what sounded like a firecracker outside her house that startled her.

Store officials declined to comment on the incident.

Police said the shooting remains under investigation, and urged anyone with information to contact Duluth police or dial 911.