Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Furnace likely culprit in Virginia carbon monoxide poisoning

A faulty furnace was the probable culprit in a carbon monoxide poisoning in Virginia over the weekend, Virginia Fire Marshal Chris Carter said.

Seven people were evacuated from a residence on the 1200 block of 19th Street South shortly after 10 a.m. on Sunday. Several of the residents were airlifted to other hospitals after first being treated at Essentia Health-Virginia. No additional information was available on their conditions as of Monday, Carter said.

In addition to all of the residents, five responders also were evaluated for possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Two carbon monoxide detectors in the residence weren’t working at the time of the incident, Carter said.

He urged the public to check their furnaces and other heating devices for potential problems and to use carbon monoxide detectors in heated portable structures, such as ice houses.

Advertisement