Top Pressroom Podcast episodes of 2017
Every week the News Tribune’s Pressroom Podcast crew publishes a new 30-ish minute episode featuring a person in the community doing exciting things. Each episode is often widely different from the week before. Of the 52 episodes we published in 2017 here are the ones you listened to most:
- Episode 84 - Glensheen murders prosecutor John DeSanto
- Forty years after Duluth’s most well-known murder case, then chief prosecutor John DeSanto joins this week’s Pressroom Podcast to share his firsthand experience with the case.
- Episode 73 - Teague Alexy preps us for Homegrown
- Singer-songwriter-author-podcaster Teague Alexy talks about his new solo album “Circuit Sessions” and how he prepares to play for Homegrown Music Festival.
- Episode 71 - UMD head coach Scott Sandelin
- We caught up with UMD head coach Scott Sandelin in his office at Amsoil Arena before the team hit the road for the NCAA Frozen Four in Chicago.
- Episode 72 - On assignment in Chicago
- The Duluth News Tribune sent a crew of four to cover the UMD men’s hockey team’s run at a the NCAA Frozen Four at United Center in Chicago. Hear what goes on behind the scenes when covering college hockey’s biggest event.
- Episode 74- Homegrown closer
- This week on Pressroom Podcast we have the Homegrown Music Festival closer Mark Anderson, who also happens to be the man who survived driving his truck off Duluth’s Blatnik Bridge last winter.
- Episode 64 - Checking in with Daniel Fanning
- He was former Duluth Mayor Don Ness' right-hand man, then he went across the bridge to UW-Superior and now he is back in Duluth at Lake Superior College. We catch up with Daniel Fanning and see what he's up to these days, which I’m sure a lot has changed since this was last published on Feb. 15, 2017.
- Episode 75 - Best-selling Minnesota author Brian Freeman
- Minnesota-author Brian Freeman talks about his newest Jonathan Stride novel “Marathon,” which takes place in Duluth.
- Episode 63 - Sex trafficking in the Twin Ports
- Shunu Shrestha, trafficking program coordinator at PAVSA in Duluth, helps us become more aware of the issue of sex trafficking in the Twin Ports.
- Episode 70 - On the road
- Our first time taking the podcast out of the studio. And we went way out. All the way to Wisconsin’s Brule River for the steelhead fishing opener.
- Episode 76 - Homegrown hangover cure
- We took the podcast on the road again. This time to Sup Town, aka Superior, during Homegrown Music Festival and we asked fans, musicians and artists what they love most about the 8-day festival.
Episode 62 - Escaping Prison
- The Pressroom Podcast crew experiences the popular new realm of escape rooms at Duluth's Zero Hour Escape Room.
Episode 61 - Marching in Washington
- Duluth resident Abigail Mlinar, who is also the founder of the Feminist Action Collective in Duluth, shares her experience at the Women’s March on Washington and the journey it took to get there.
Episode 102 - Lake Superior shipwrecks
- Duluth News Tribune editor Andrew Krueger, who accidentally became our resident shipwreck writer and historian, joins us this week to talk about a few of the Lake Superior and Great Lakes shipwrecks you may not know about.
Episode 82 - Toward Zero Deaths on Minnesota roads
- Northeastern Minnesota Toward Zero Deaths Coordinator Holly Kostrzewski talks with us about distracted driving, impaired driving and what measures you can take on the road to make sure you get to your destination safely. Always a good reminder.
Episode 108 - Homelessness in Duluth schools
- Katie Danielson and Stacey Achterhoff work with homeless youth in the Duluth School District. Last year, Danielson said 488 youth in the school district were homeless. Achterhoff has 49 students alone at Myers-Wilkins Elementary that are homeless this school year.