Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Multiple people hospitalized after Virginia carbon monoxide incident

Seven people were evacuated from a residence in Virginia on Sunday morning following an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning. Additionally, multiple first responders were evaluated for exposure to the deadly gas, said a Virginia Fire Department news release.

Several of the people from the residence were airlifted to other medical facilities after first being taken to Essentia Health-Virginia for treatment, said the news release.

Two Virginia firefighters, two city police officers and a St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office deputy were also evaluated at the local hospital for possible carbon monoxide exposure.

Battalion Chief Kevin Poffs described the residence as a duplex with a ground level and a second-story level. Visitors to the residence reported the emergency to 911, he said.

“They’re the ones who discovered something wrong and they were counted as part of the seven who, at the very least, were exposed,” Poffs told the News Tribune.

Firefighters responded to the residence on the 1200 block of 19th Street South shortly after 10 a.m.

The Virginia Fire Marshal was leading the investigation into the source of the carbon monoxide leak. A heating, ventilation and air conditioning outfit was called in to take part in the investigation, Poffs said.

“We’re learning as we go,” Poffs said around noon Sunday. “The emergency part of it is over.”

Poff did not know the condition of any of the residents or the other people involved in the incident.

An odorless gas, carbon monoxide is a deadly byproduct of most common heating systems, which can leak the gas when poorly ventilated or in disrepair.

Ambulance crews from Virginia, Eveleth and Biwabik responded to the scene.

Advertisement