Readings & Writers For Jan. 14, 2018
University of Minnesota Duluth's Kathryn A. Martin Library and Friends of the Duluth Public Library seek nominations for the 30th annual Northeastern Minnesota Book Awards. Books may be nominated is six categories: Nonfiction, fiction, art and photography, children's literature, poetry and memoir. Entry fee: $25 per each title. Go to https://lib.d.umn.edu/about/nemba. Deadline: Feb. 1.
The Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets seeks entries for its annual Muse Contest. All Wisconsin poets over age 18 are eligible. Go to wfop.org/muse-contest for details. Deadline: Feb. 1.
The Duluth Public Library offers these events. The library will be closed on Monday for the holiday. Go to duluthlibrary.org or call (218) 730-4200/option 4.
• Bedtime story time, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, West Duluth branch library.
• Toddler time, 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library, green room.
• Preschool story time, 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library.
• Spinning "Charlotte's Web," The Department of Theatre's production at UMD and special guest Dr. Alison Aune, 3-4 p.m. Wednesday, West Duluth branch library.
• Squad Car story time, 3:45 p.m. every other Wednesday, Duluth Public Library Plaza.
• Preschool story time, 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Mount Royal branch library.
Cabin Fever Poetry Reliever, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 17, Lake Superior Writer's Office, Board of Trade building, 301 W. First St., Suite 308. Instructor: Poet Jan Chronister. Cost: $30, $20 for members. Email Gail at email@example.com to register.
Zenith Bookstore, 318 N. Central Ave., offers children's story time, 10:30-11 a.m. every Tuesday. Call (218) 606-1777.
Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall offers these events. Call (218) 786-0710 or go to bn.com.
• "You!" story time, 11 a.m. Saturday.
• "Charlotte's Web" preview/meet and greet, 11:30-noon Saturday.
• "Fancy Nancy:Oodles of Kittens" story time, 11 a.m. Jan. 27.
Title: "Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Kind (of America: 101 Stories about the True Spirit of Our Country"
Author: Many including Lou Zywicki Pruhomme, author of "Circle of Kindness" included in the book.
Synopsis: This book shares many short stories about the "true spirit of our country."
Publisher: Chicken Soup for the Soul, LLC
Contact info: chickensoup.com
Title: "Power Versus Law in Modern China: Cities, Courts, and the Communist Party"
Author: Qiang Fang and Xiaobing Li
Synopsis: The book examines four legal cases that took place from 1995 to 2013 in four major Chinese cities. Citizens protested demolition of property, as well as corruption among city officials, developers and landlords, but were repeatedly denied protection or compensation from the courts.
Publisher: Kentucky Press
Contact info: kentuckypress.com.
Title: "Flames of Discontent: The 1916 Minnesota Iron ore Strike"
Author: Gary Kaunonen
Synopsis: On Jan. 2, 1916, 40 mostly immigrant mineworkers at the St. James Mine in Aurora, walked off the job. This small labor disturbance would mushroom into one of the region's, if not the nation's, most contentious and significant battles between organized labor and management in the early twentieth century. This books shares what that pivotal moment ment for workers and immigrants, mining and labor relations in Minnesota and beyond.
Publisher: University of Minnesota Press
Contact info: upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/flames-of-discontent