Make a Difference for March 6, 2016
• Memorial Blood Centers will offer the following blood drives across the Northland. Call (888) GIVE-BLD (448-3253) or go to mbc.org for eligibility guidelines and to schedule an appointment.
Monday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., North Woods High School, 10248 Olson Road E., Cook.
Monday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Cherry School Student Council, 3643 Tamminen Road, Iron.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Boise Paper, 400 Second St., International Falls.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Marshall School, 1215 Rice Lake Road, Duluth.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Floodwood High School, 115 W. Fourth Ave., Floodwood.
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Carlton High School and Community, 405 Walnut Ave., Carlton.
Wednesday: 1-4:30 p.m., Memorial Medical Center, 1615 Maple Lane, Ashland.
Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., UnitedHealthcare, 4316 Rice Lake Road, Duluth.
Thursday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., BMO Harris Bank, 100 Main St. E., Ashland.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Ashland FFA Chapter, 1900 Beaser Ave., Ashland.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Chisholm High School, 301 S.W. Fourth St., Chisholm.
• Devin Lindberg and Cole Lahti are hosting a spaghetti feed fundraiser for their senior project from 4-9 p.m. Friday at Superior High School, 2600 Catlin Ave., Superior. Proceeds benefit the local U.S. Navy Cadet unit. The Navy Cadet Corps is a national nonprofit that is chartered through the U.S. Navy and U.S. Navy League for training sailors 13-18. This spaghetti feed will help raise money to ensure the unit continues to conduct quality training to provide quality service whenever duty calls. Cost: $5 for adults, $3 for children.
• Aitkin Opera House at the Butler Building, 301 Minnesota Ave. N., will host a fundraiser benefiting Sylvia's Children, a nonprofit working to improve the lives of more than 1,000 children in Uganda, from 7-9 p.m. Friday in Aitkin. The event features the Dirty Shorts Brass Band.The event is free and will have a cash bar and goodwill offering during intermission. Visit thebutlerbuilding.org or call Sylvia Allen at (218) 678-2441 for information.
• Eagles Auxiliary, 1710 N. 12th St., Superior, will be hosting a card party Saturday and April 9. Cost: $4 per person and includes lunch and prizes. Proceeds go to local charities. Open to the public. Call (715) 392-6560 for information.
• The annual Minnesota Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 9 spaghetti dinner fundraiser is from noon to 3 p.m. March 13 at Grandma's Sports Garden, 425 S. Lake Ave., Duluth. The event features a silent auction and raffles. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children and children under 3 eat free. Proceeds benefit law enforcement officers and their families in time of need.
• The St. Louis County Historical Society Veteran's Memorial Hall 5K Fun Run/Walk, a fundraiser for its Veterans Memorial Hall Program, begins at 9 a.m. May 14 at Twig Bakery, 3930 E. Calvary Road, Duluth. Registration fees are $25 per person and includes a race T-shirt and refreshments. Registration forms are available at the administrative office of the St. Louis County Historical Society, 506 W. Michigan St., or at www.thehistorypeople.org/events.asp. Completed forms may be returned with payments (cash or check) to the Society's administrative office. Online registration with a credit card is also available at www.tempotickets.com/vmh5k. Registration fees may apply for online registration. If registering a team, state the team name and register each member individually. For more information contact John Werner at (218) 343-8849 or email@example.com.
• Warm Up the City sponsored by Yarn Harbor, 4629 E. Superior St., is seeking donations of hats, mittens and scarves for a March 13 event. Volunteers are also needed to help distribute donated items from noon to 2 p.m. Go to yarnharborduluth.com or call (218) 724-6432.
• Leadership Duluth, a program of the Duluth Chamber of Commerce, seeks diaper donations during the month of March for the 2016 Duluth Diaper Drive. Donations will benefit families using the Chum Food Shelf. Drop sites are: Chum Food Shelf, Essentia Health clinics, all Duluth area Super One Foods locations, all North Shore Bank locations, Edward Jones and the WLSSD Administrative Office.
• The following are volunteer opportunities supported by Head of the Lakes United Way Volunteer Center. Call (218) 726-4889 or go to volunteerduluth.org to view opportunities from all affiliates.
Volunteers are needed to read with children or help with homework at reader, tutor, mentor sites. Fill out an application at hlunitedway.org/Volunteer/ReaderTutor-Mentor /ReaderTutorMentorVolunteerApplication. aspx. Contact Sarah Garramone at (218) 726-4780 or sgarramone@hlunitedway. org.
Mentor Duluth seeks mentors during its annual March into Mentoring campaign. A goal of recruiting 31 mentors in 31 days has been set for the month. Mentor Duluth has more than 250 kids waiting to be matched. Mentors in the program volunteer their time, striving to make a difference in children's lives. As a mentor, you get to share what you know and maybe learn a few new things along the way.
Lincoln Park Children and Families Collaborative will host a Kick Butts Day event from 5-7 p.m. March 14 and seeks volunteers to help set up, serve food, run activities for the kids, registration table and informational booths, clean, etc. Hours are 3-8 p.m. but volunteer hours are flexible. Volunteers receive dinner and a T-shirt. Contact Jodi Broadwell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (218) 409-7227.
Lake Superior Marine Museum Association seeks volunteers to help with the annual spring cleaning day 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 16 at 600 S. Lake Ave., Duluth. Volunteers are needed to dust, update various displays and exhibits, polish brass, make sure electronic equipment is in working order and assist park rangers with any special projects. Complimentary lunch will be provided. Call (218) 727-2497 or email email@example.com for more information.
St. Louis County Historical Society seeks volunteer docents for its Ojibwe Gallery from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day. Training is provided, and applications are available at the society's office at the Depot, at the visitor's service desk on weekends and holidays or by contacting Mary Parks at (218) 733-7583 or mary@ thehistorypeople.org.