Things to Do for April 21, 2017
For the Family
Get your tickets to the AAD Shrine Circus, 7 p.m. today, 2 p.m. or 7 p.m. Saturday as well as 2 p.m. Sunday, DECC. Tickets the day of the show: $24 for adults, $16 for ages 4-16 and free for ages 3 and younger. Go to decc.org or ticketmaster.com.
Astronomy Day event, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Marshall W. Alworth Planetarium, UMD. Free admission. Go to d.umn.edu/scse.
Need a bike? Head to the 11th annual Bike Swap, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Continental Ski and Bike, 1305 E. First St. Free bike helmets for youth while they last. Proceeds go to Animal Allies Humane Society and United Way. Go to continentalski.com.
Support the Olesiak family and cheer on the St. Scholastica baseball team vs. Martin Luther College, 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Wade Stadium. Admission: $5 for adults, $3 for children and free for ages 12 and younger. Features silent auction and games for children. The Olesiaks were hurt in an auto accident on New Year's Eve while crossing the St. Louis River Road bridge. Proceeds go to the Olesiak family.
Have dinner at the Western Duluth Little League spaghetti feed, 3-7 p.m. Sunday, Mr. D's, 5622 Grand Ave. Tickets: $10 for adults, $5 for kids and free for ages 4 and younger.
Enjoy "Opera Studio Scenes," 7:30 p.m. Thursday and April 28, Weber Music Hall, UMD. Tickets: $11 for adults, $9 for seniors, $6 for students and $4 for UMD students. Call (218) 726-8877 or go to tickets.umn.edu.
For the Adults
Don't miss the Huskies second Hot Stove! Night, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Carmody Irish Brew Pub, 308 E. Superior St. Features snacks, Q&A session with the Huskies front office and raffles. Tickets: $5, includes one Huskies Ale Beer while supplies last. Call (218) 786-9909 or email email@example.com.
Attend the 2017 Baeumler Kaplan Holocaust Commemoration, "Spain and the Holocaust — History and Memories," 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Solon Campus Center 120, UMD. Free. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the Volunteer
Are you interested in trains? Attend an information meeting for volunteers for The Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad, 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Iron Mug Coffee House, 1096 88th Ave. W. No railroading experience necessary. Positions open for ticket sales, trip narration, car hosting, maintenance and renovation. Call (218) 343-7155, go to lsmrr.org or email email@example.com.
For the Learner
Learn more about woodcuts with Minnesota woodcut artist Sarah Guy-Levar, for ages 10 and older, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Two Harbors Public Library, 320 Waterfront Drive. Create a Minnesota woodcut with an iconic lake scene, learn about cold press ground and enjoy painting your unique design in watercolor paint. Go to alslib.info or facebook.com/alslibinfo.
The Blue Heron Trading Co., 394 S. Lake Ave., offers these classes. Cost: $30. Call (218) 722-8799 for required registration.
• "Oh, Cupcake!" with Ilone Hamilton, 6 p.m. Wednesday. Learn to make fudgy merlot cupcakes, blueberry blue cheese stuffed cupcakes, creamsicle cupcakes, dark chocolate gluten-free cupcakes and gluten-free cupcakes with chocolate avocado frosting.
• "Soups From Around the World" with Todd Whitesel, 6 p.m. Thursday. Sample spicy cucumber gazpacho, tomato soup a la marcella hazan, watercress soup, African peanut butter soup with chicken and Asian-inspired pea soup with spinach and coconut milk.
• Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Visit glensheen.wp.d.umn.edu or call (218) 726-8910.
• Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans' Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
• Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays; noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to douglashistory.org.
• Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
• Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays through Mondays. Closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Visit lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
• North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to northshorescenicrailroad.org or call (218) 722-1273 for details.
• Open skate, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays (1:30-3:30 p.m. Wednesdays when school is not in session), Heritage Sports Center, 120 S. 30th Ave. W., Duluth. Bring your own skates. Free.