Helping Out for August 3, 2010
WESTERN LAKE SUPERIOR HABITAT FOR HUMANITY Western Lake Superior Habitat for Humanity seeks volunteers for the following positions. Contact Susan Jonas at (218) 722-3875 or email email@example.com for more information.
- ReStore volunteer: Like shopping? Fixing things? Hanging out in the hardware aisle? Combine your passions into a volunteer position at Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore. Volunteers do everything from running the cash register to accepting, sorting and pricing donations to making minor repairs to donated materials. Volunteer shifts are available Thursday through Saturday.
- Headquarters assistant: Volunteers are needed from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays to process, sort and organize donations; build and repair displays; and much more.
- Weekday work crew: Skilled men and women with building experience are needed at worksites from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursdays. Opportunities are different each day and with each project, and are also dependent on the weather. Projects could include building stairs, roofing, putting in windows, siding and more.
SECOND HARVEST NORTHERN LAKES FOOD BANK Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank relies on many volunteers to keep things at the food bank warehouse running smoothly. Call Lora Wedge at (218) 727-5653, ext. 108, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Pack backpacks: Help prepare the nearly 1,000 bags of ready-to-eat food that is distributed to children in the region through the BackPack Program. This requires regular packing of foods into 1,000 small bags. Must be able to stand, lift and bend and follow warehouse safety procedures. Evening hours are available.
- Transportation: Assist the Second Harvest driver with food distributions, help set up the site, direct traffic, carry food boxes and more. Must be friendly, enjoy working with people, able to sit for short periods of time, stand, bend and lift up to 50 pounds. Wear casual, comfortable shoes and clothing. Primarily daytime hours with 2- to 9-hour commitment required.
VIEWCREST HEALTH CENTER Viewcrest Health Center seeks volunteers to run the on-site gift shop. Volunteers must be friendly and comfortable with handling money. Volunteers are needed to fill any two-hour time slots throughout the day on Saturdays and Sundays. Contact Denise at (218) 279-4210 for additional information.
COMMEMORATIVE AIR FORCE The Lake Superior Squadron 101 of the Commemorative Air Force seeks volunteers to help at the Armed Forces Museum. The Squadron is located in Hangar 101 of the old Duluth Air Base at 4931 Airport Road in Hermantown.
Volunteers can be anyone with prior military service who are looking for an opportunity to volunteer, retired airline airframe and powerplant mechanics or retired U.S. Air Force or other military aviation maintenance technicians, those interested in preserving history and anyone interested in helping to restore a World War II Consolidated PBY Catalina.
Call (218) 733-0639 or visit the hangar from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays. Go to cafduluth.com or email email@example.com for more information.
If your organization needs volunteers for a cause, you can make a request to readers. Send it to Helping Out, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802, email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 720-4120.