Health Notes: Don't bite glow sticks
By: John Lundy, Duluth News Tribune
Hold those purple glow sticks, but don’t bite them.
The same goes for any glowing items that might be part of your children’s Halloween outfits this evening, advises the Minnesota Regional Poison Center.
The toys are “cheap, portable and emit a colorful glow making them perfect to increase visibility of children while trick-or-treating,” the Poison Center said in a news release. The chemicals that make that happen are only mildly poisonous, it said, but they can irritate the skin and eyes and cause a burning sensation if swallowed.
If a child accidentally breaks or chews through a glow stick or there are any questions about a possible poisoning, call the Minnesota Poison Control System at (800) 222-1222 for treatment recommendations. More information is available at mnpoison.org.