10 ways to help a family living with Alzheimer’s
By: Budgeteer News staff, Duluth Budgeteer News
• Stay in touch — show you care. A card, a call or a visit all mean a lot.
• Treat the person with respect and dignity. Focus on all that the
person with dementia can do.
• Do the little things. Drop off dinner or run an errand.
• Be specific when
offering help. Tackle a task on the family’s
• Educate yourself about Alzheimer’s. Learn about its effects and how to respond.
• Include everyone in activities. Plan a picnic or dinner at your place; include the person with the disease whenever possible.
• Be a good listener. Support and accept — try to not judge.
• Encourage a healthy lifestyle. Suggest practical tips to
exercise and eat right.
• Allow the family some personal time.
Fill in as a caregiver, when needed.
• Keep all family members in mind.
From tots to elders, each person reacts uniquely.
INFORMATION FROM THE ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION