Carbon monoxide detector alerts Duluth family to dangerous situationA Duluth family escaped serious injury or death Monday evening, thanks to a working carbon monoxide detector.
By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune
A Duluth family escaped serious injury or death Monday evening, thanks to a working carbon monoxide detector.
Firefighters responded to 1534 East Superior Street at 9:20 p.m. after a carbon monoxide detector in the home sounded. They found the family outside. Firefighters traced the carbon monoxide to the water heater. CO meters registered 85 parts per million in the basement, and 40 ppm on the main floor.
An odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas, carbon monoxide can cause symptoms that can mimic flu, unconsciousness and even death. It is created by the incomplete combustion of fuel. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, 50 ppm is the maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure in any eight-hour period, with levels above 100ppm being potentially lethal.
One juvenile was taken to Duluth hospital for treatment for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning following Monday’s call.
Fire officials remind people that Minnesota law requires that every residence have a carbon monoxide detector.