Outdoors blog: Ashland anglers win Grand Slam tourney
By: Sam Cook, Duluth News Tribune
Elza, Brown win Grand Slam Walleye Tournament
Here are results from the Grand Slam Walleye Tournament held on the St. Louis River May 22-23. Eleven boats with two anglers each took part in the tournament, down from about 40 boats in previous years. The anglers caught a total of 66 fish that weighed 199 pounds.
Most of the walleyes were caught on night-crawler harnesses in less than 2 feet of water, said tournament director Tom Pfister.
Here are the top five teams:
Grand Slam Walleye Tournament
(Anglers could keep two walleyes under 20 inches and two over 20 inches each day)
1. Keith Elza and Tony Brown, both of Ashland, 31.82 pounds
2. Darren Nelson and Kent Dumonseau, Duluth, 25.05
3. Mark Halverson and Kent Maysmen, Superior, 24.46
4. John Michalski and Ryan Zuk/Bob Maas, Duluth, 21.94
5. Steve Sutherland, Superior, and Grant Sorenson, 20.42