Things to Do
Attend the fifth annual Kraus-Anderson Bike Duluth Festival, today through Sunday, 8551 Grand Ave., lower chalet. Features races, expo village and demo town, kid's bike parade, and more. Go to www.bikeduluthfestival.com.
Have fun at the 30th annual Bayfront Blues Festival, today through Sunday, Bayfront Park. Gates open at 11 a.m. And music starts at 11:30 a.m. Friday through Sunday. Performances end at 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 8:15 p.m. on Sunday and a late nite dance party will be offered from 9:45 p.m.-11:30 p.m. Included in your tickets price or if you want to attend this only, enter the part at 9 p.m. for a $5 cover charge. Tickets: available at gate each day.
Check out the Draft Horse Show, 4:30-6:30 p.m. today, St. Louis County Fair, Highway 169, Chisholm. Show included in price of regular gate admission.
Take part in the 23rd annual Kirstin Burkholder Memorial 5K Walk/Run, Saturday, Esko High School football field on Canosia Road. Packet pickup begins at 7:45 a.m., kids race at 8:45 a.m. and 5K begins at 9 a.m. All proceeds go to scholarships for Esko's graduating seniors. Race day entry fee: $25 per person or $60 per family. Go to www.northlandrunner.com, www.minnesotarunner.com or get race applications at Esko Fitness Center, Eskomo Pizza Pie or Esko Self Service.
Don't miss The Party in the Park, 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Thomas Owens park, Two Harbors. Features music, bounce houses, face painting, bubble fun zone, food and saw dust scavenger hunt. In case of rain, the event will be held at Lake County Arena. Free.
Go to UMD Planetarium embarks on dark sky caravan from 5-11 p.m. at these locations. Go to z.umn.edu/darkskycaravan. Free.
• Saturday at UMD Planetarium.
• Sunday at Tettegouche Visitor Center.
• Monday at Birch Grove Community Center in Tofte.
• Tuesday at Voyageur Brewing Company in Grand Marais.
• Wednesday at Grand Portage Community Center from 5-8 p.m. in Grand Portage.
• Thursday and Aug. 17 at Seagull Lake Community Center, upper trail Gunflint Trail.
"From the Top," A CHOICE, unlimited film class presentation, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Zinema, 222 E. Superior St. Go to www.choiceunlimited.org.
Check out Glen Everhart's "Heebie Jeebies," a free musical comedy program for ages 5 and older at these locations.
• 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Silver Bay Public Library
• 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Grand Marais Public Library
• 3:30 p.m. Aug. 22: Two Harbors Public Library
Take the kids, ages 14 and younger, to Wednesday Night at the Races, 6 p.m. Wednesday, NBC Spartan Sports complex, Superior High School, 2600 Catlin Ave. Registration from 5-5:50 p.m.
Learn about UFOs in Minnesota, noon Thursday, St. Louis County Heritage and Cultural Center, 506 W. Mihchigan St. Free. Call (218) 733-7568.
• Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Visit www.glensheen.org or call (218) 726-8910.
• Duluth Children's Museum, 115 S. 29th Ave. W., Duluth, offers programs and exhibits for children and families. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Visit www.playduluth.org or call (218) 733-7543.
• Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans' Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit www.duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
• Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays; noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to www.douglashistory.org.
• Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit www.glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
• Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit www.lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
• North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to www.northshorescenicrailroad.org or call (218) 722-1273 for details.
• The Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad, The River Train, offers tourist excursion rides along the St Louis River. The 1946 Switch Engine and 100+ yr old coaches provide a leisurely trip over part of the 1870s tracks into Duluth. Offered 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Call (218) 624-7549 or go to www.lsmrr.org for tickets.