Readings & Writers for Dec. 3, 2017
University of Minnesota Duluth's Kathryn A. Martin Library and Friends of the Duluth Public Library seek nominations for the 30th annual Northeastern Minnesota Book Awards. Books may be nominated is six categories: Nonfiction, fiction, art and photography, children's literature, poetry and memoir. Entry fee: $25 per each title. Go to https://lib.d.umn.edu/about/nemba. Deadline: Feb. 1.
The Duluth Public Library offers these events. Go to duluthlibrary.org or call (218) 730-4200/option 4.
• Bedtime storytime, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, West Duluth branch library.
• Toddler time, 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library, green room.
• Preschool storytime, 11:15 a.m. Wednesday, Duluth Public Library.
• Squad Car storytime, 3:45 p.m. every other Wednesday, Duluth Public Library Plaza.
• Preschool storytime, 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Mount Royal branch library.
An Evening of Aadizookaanan: Traditional Anishinaabe stories with Michael "Migizi" Sullivan, 6 p.m. Friday, Dr. Robert Powless Cultural Center, 202 W. Second St. Free. Go to facebook.com/aichogalleries.
Author Lise Lunge-Larsen and illustrator Kari Vick read and sign copies of their book, "Seven Ways to Trick a Troll," 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Siiviis of Sivertson Gallery, 361 Canal Park Drive.
Zenith Bookstore, 318 N. Central Ave., offers these events.Call (218) 606-1777.
• Author Miriam Karmel reads from "Subtle Variations and Other Stories," 2 p.m. Sunday.
• Children's storytime, 10:30-11 a.m. every Tuesday.
• Local author signings, Saturday, include the following:
Chris Monroe, "Monkey With a Tool Belt and The Silly School Mystery," 10-11 a.m.
Ellie Schoenfeld, "Difficult Valentines," 11 a.m. to noon
Deborah Cooper, "Blue Window," noon to 1 p.m.
Shelley Getten, "Agates," 1-2 p.m.
Sarah Bamford Seidelmann, "Swimming With Elephants," 2-3 p.m.
Larry Weber, "Fascinating Fungi of the Northwoods," 3-4 p.m.
• Author Peter Geye discusses his book, "Wintering," 2 p.m. Dec. 10.
• Jolabokaflod chocolate+books initiative begins.
Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall offers these events. Call (218) 786-0710 or go to bn.com.
• "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" story time, 11 a.m. Saturday.
• "River Rose and the Magical Christmas" story time, 11 a.m. Dec. 16.
The Bookstore at Fitger's, 600 E. Superior St., offers these events. Call (218) 727-9077.
• Author Linda LeGarde Grover signs copies of her book, "Onigamiising," noon to 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Author Margi Preus signs copies of her book, "Clue in the Trees," from noon to 2 p.m. Dec. 16.
• Authors William Durbin and Barbara Durbin signing copies of their book, "Dead Man's Rapids," from noon to 2 p.m. Dec. 23.
Title: "Got To Be Something Here: The Rise of the Minneapolis Sound"
Author: Andrea Swensson
Synopsis: Across the Mississippi River in the historic Rondo district of St. Paul, the gospel-meets-R&B groups the Exciters and the Amazers take hold of a community that will soon be all but erased by the construction of I-94. From King Solomon's Mines to the Flames, from The Way in Near North to the First Avenue stage (then known as Sam's) where Prince would make a triumphant hometown return in 1981, the author traces the journeys of black artists who were hard-pressed to find venues and outlets for their music, struggling to cross the color line as they honed their sound.
Publisher: University of Minnesota Press
Contact info: upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/got-to-be-smething-here
Title: "The Inside Story of the 2016 Ryder Cup"
Author: John Feinstein
Synopsis: The 2016 Ryder Cup, played at Hazeltine's National Golf Club in Chaska, Minn., is the location of the American's 2016 win. In this book, Feinstein brings the readers inside the heads of American captain Davis Love and legendary players from both teams such as Phil Mickelson, Jordan Spieth and Tiger Woods. He explains how the American team was built, selected and motivated to face a European team just as strong as ever, traveling from clubhouse to the tee box to provide an extraordinary account of the world's biggest international golf competition.
Contact info: jfeinsteinbooks.com