Readings and writers for June 8, 2014
News of note
* David Schultz of Duluth for his short story, “Tourist at a Funeral.”
* James Brakken of Cable, Wis., for his short-short story, “Time and the River.”
* Dianna Hunter of Duluth for her creative nonfiction work titled “The Dead Cow and the Great Man.”
Each winner received $250 and read from their work May 18 at the Literary Celebration at the Underground Theater. To read their work, go to lakesuperiorwriters.org/2014-writing-contest/.
Friends of the Duluth Public Library 35th book sale will be Tuesday through Friday. Go to FriendsofDPL.com.
* 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday for members only. Memberships available at the door.
* 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday for the public.
* 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday for the bag sale.
Preschool story time, 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at the Mount Royal Public Library and 11:15 a.m. Wednesday at the Duluth Public Library, with a bedtime story time at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the West Duluth Public Library. Toddler time offered at 10:15 a.m. Wednesday at the Duluth Public Library. Go to duluthlibrary.org or call (218) 730-4200/option 4.
The Bookstore at Fitger’s, 600 E. Superior St., offers author Michael Fedo discussing his book, “Zenith City: Stories from Duluth,” at 7 p.m. Thursday. He will sign copies of the book at 6:30 p.m. Call (218) 727-9077 or email
Barnes & Noble in the Miller Hill Mall offers these events. Call (218) 786-0710 or go to bn.com.
* Mystery Book Club meets at 5:30 p.m. today.
* Father’s Day story time, 11 a.m. Tuesday.
* Nook daytime class, 11 a.m. Wednesday.
* Father’s Day story time, 11 a.m. Saturday.
* Author Kristy Abbott signs copies of her book, “Ghosted Bridge,” at 1 p.m. Saturday.
* Author Catherine Holm signs copies of her book, “Driving with Cats: Ours for a Short Time,” 1 p.m. Saturday.