Outdoors Notes for June 15, 2014
Sugarloaf Cove Nature Center, 9096 Highway 61, Schroeder, offers these events. Call (218) 525-0001 or (218) 663-7679.
* Bird banding for everyone, 7 a.m. to noon today. Free.
* Mysterious mushrooms, 10 a.m. Saturday. Free.
* Invasive blitz, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 27. Cost: $50. Registration required at MinnesotaMasterNaturalist.org.
* The Cove summer photography workshop, noon to 4 p.m. June 28. Cost: $35, $30 for members. Registration required at sugarloafnorthshore.org.
Voyageurs National Park’s boat tours begin today and depart from Rainy Lake and Kabetogama Lake Visitor Centers. You can reserve your dates now. Call(877) 444-6777 or go to recreation.gov.
75th anniversary of Enger Tower and Park, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today, Enger Park, Skyline Parkway off Hank Jensen Drive. Features food trucks, children’s activities, official program by Duluth Mayor Don Ness at 1 p.m. and yoga. Call (218) 730-4334 or email email@example.com.
Positive Energy Outdoors, 4757 Datka Road, offers many camps for kids. A few are listed below. Go to outdooredventures.org or call (218) 391-0147 or (218) 428-5990 for more information.
* Horses and more day camp, for grades 3-9, Monday through Friday. Cost: $265.
* Outdoor leadership and adventure camp for teens in grades 8-12, Tuesday through Thursday and Aug. 11-15. Cost: $650.
* Try it all — intro outdoor adventure explorer for grades K-4, June 23-27. Cost: $265.
Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center, 7328 Boulder Dam Road, offers these events. Call (218) 721-3731, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to boulderlake.org.
* What’s New in Green Building Standards? Webinar, Tuesday
* St. Louis River Watershed Educator Workshop — session II, Wednesday and Thursday
* Talking with Landowners about Intergenerational Land Transfer webinar, July 15
Old Vermilion Trail sporting clays summer league and open shooting, 6980 Old Vermilion Trail. Hours: Noon to dark Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays. Call (218) 721-3804.
Arrowhead Fly Fishers annual potluck picnic, 4-9 p.m. Tuesday, Chambers Grove Park in Fond du Lac on the St. Louis River. Dinner at
5 p.m. Bring your own meat to grill, beverages and a dish to share. The club will provide the grill, tableware and condiments. Bring your rod for games.
Hartley Nature Center offers these events at 3001 Woodland Ave. Call (218) 724-6735 or go to hartleynature.org.
* Volunteer Garden Nights, 6-8 p.m. Tuesday as well as July 1, July 15, July 29, Aug. 12 and Aug. 26.
* Evenings in the Butterfly Garden, 6-8 p.m. Wednesday as well as July 2, July 16, July 30, Aug. 13 and Aug. 27. Free.
* Wildflower walks: 6-8 p.m. July 16. Cost: $6, $4 for members, free for children.
Proctor Gun Club trap league and open shooting, 3:30 p.m. until dark Wednesdays, U.S. Highway 2, one mile north of Proctor. Call (218)
Superior Trap & Gun Club summer league shooting, 4 p.m. to dark Wednesdays through Aug. 27, 5642 Wisconsin Highway 35, Superior. A six-week doubles league will start July 2.
Positive Energy Outdoors Wednesday evenings women’s paddle, 6-8 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Wednesday through Aug. 27, Fredenberg Lake. No experience necessary. We provide boats, equipment and basic instruction. Cost: $30. Call Steph at (218) 391-0147 by 5 p.m. the day of the paddle to register and for directions.
Crex Meadows Wildlife Area offers these events. Go to crexmeadows.org or call (715) 463-2739.
* Wildlife ethics, for high school students, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday as well as June 26. Cost: $5 per day or $8 for both sessions.
* Wheels & Wildlife, 9 a.m. Saturday. Cost: $5, $10 per family.
* Wild edibles, 6-8 p.m. June 25. Cost: $5. Registration required.
* Mug and mammal morning hikes, 8:30-10 a.m. July 12 and Aug. 9. Free.
* WILD women workshop, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 19. Cost: $10. Registration required.
* Botany talks and walks, 1-4 p.m. July 20. Topic: Ferns and club moss
Brule-St. Croix Chapter of the North Country Trail Association offers these guided hikes in the Solon Springs area. Hikes depart at 9 a.m. unless noted from KD’s Restaurant in Solon Springs. Go to northcountrytrail.org/bsc or meetup.com/SSCBHikers, email email@example.com or call (715) 292-3484.
* 1 p.m. June 22: Brule-St. Croix Historic Portage
* July 5: Bird Sanctuary
Tending the Trees event, 10 a.m. June 28, Trail’s End campground boat landing, Grand Marais. Tend trees along the Seagull Nature Trail. Bring a lunch, gloves and clippers or loppers. Call (218) 387-1750 or (218) 387-3768.
Arrowhead Fly Fishers hex camp, July 11-13 in Grand Marais. Go to arrowheadflyfishers.com.
If you have a meeting notice or other item to submit to Outdoors Notes, you can email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it (218) 720-4120,
attention Outdoors Notes. Deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Tuesday before the Sunday of publication. If you have any questions, call Kris at (218) 723-5322.