Duluth Experience kayak tours, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily, from Canal Park. Features lessons in kayak safety and basic paddling, tour content on cultural and natural history and lunch. Cost: $69. Go to theduluthexperience.com/kayak-tours or call (218) 464-6337 for details.
Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center, 7328 Boulder Dam Road, offers these events. Call (218) 721-3731, email email@example.com or go to boulderlake.org.
* Minnesota Master Naturalist volunteer training, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Cost: $200, includes materials.
* Minnesota Master Naturalist volunteer training, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Aug. 18-22. Cost: $200, includes materials.
* Sasquatch Scramble Obstacle 5K Run, Sept. 6
Monday evening mountain bike rides, 6 p.m. Mondays. Call Ski Hut at (218) 724-8525 each week for location. Free.
Old Vermilion Trail sporting clays summer league and open shooting, 6980 Old Vermilion Trail. Hours: Noon to dark Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays. Call (218) 721-3804.
Positive Energy Outdoors Twin Ports Kayak Club, 6 p.m. Tuesdays through the summer on various area lakes. Registration: Free with your own boat or call by noon the day of the paddle to rent a boat for $15. Contact Blake at (218) 428-5990 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for directions.
Courage Kenny Northland offers the following events. Call (218) 726-4834, ext. 1 or email email@example.com.
& Adaptive kayak day trip – South Shore kayak adventure, for ages 8 and older, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday as well as Aug. 6. Cost: $80. Registration deadline: Monday.
* Adaptive water skiing, for ages 8 and older, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Aug. 11, Pike Lake AAA Motor Club on Pike Lake, 4895 E. Pike Lake Road. Cost: $20. Registration required.
Proctor Gun Club trap league and open shooting, 3:30 p.m. until dark Wednesdays, U.S. Highway 2, one mile north of Proctor. Call (218) 724-7895.
Superior Trap & Gun Club summer league shooting, 4 p.m. to dark Wednesdays through Aug. 27, 5642 Wisconsin Highway 35, Superior. A six week doubles league will start Wednesday.
Positive Energy Outdoors Wednesday evenings women’s paddle, 6-8 p.m. Wednesdays through Aug. 27, Fredenberg Lake. No experience necessary. Boats, equipment and basic instruction provided. Cost: $30. Call Steph at (218) 391-0147 to register by 5 p.m. the day of the paddle and for directions.
River Rovers Nature Playgroup, a nature-themed group for ages 3-7, 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays beginning Thursday through Aug. 28, Billings Park in Superior at the end of North 21st Street. Children don’t need to register but parents/guardians must stay for the duration of the program. Free. Call Lake Superior NERR at (715) 392-3141.
Paddle the Pearls, ed-venture program for ages 12 and older, noon to 4 p.m. Thursday, Ashland’s Fish Creek Estuary. Cost: $10. Call Cathy at (715) 561-2695 by Tuesday for required registration.
Minnesota Trappers Association Convention, Friday through Aug. 3, Carlton County Fairgrounds in Barnum. Call (218) 848-2383.
30 Target 3-D Archery Shoot, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 3, Arrowhead 3-D Shoot, 5474 N. Tischer Road. Bring your own archery equipment. Cost: $15, free for ages 17 and younger with an adult. Call (218) 525-0616 or (218) 348-5327.
Crex Meadows Wildlife Area offers these events. Go to crexmeadows.org or call (715) 463-2739.
* Paddle Phantom, 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Rent a kayak for $20 or bring your own. Registration required.
* Outdoor skills camp, for ages 10-15, 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 4-7. Free. Registration required.
* Mug and mammal morning hikes, 8:30-10 a.m. Aug. 9. Free.
* Botany talks and walks, 1-4 p.m. Aug. 17. Topic: Grass ID
* Crex for Kids Camp, for ages 8-12, 9 a.m. to noon Aug. 25-28. Free. Registration required.
Passenger Pigeons – What happened?, 10 a.m. Saturday, Sugarloaf Cove, Minnesota Highway 61 at mile marker 73.3 near Schroeder. Free. Call (218) 525-0001 or go to sugarloafnorthshore.org.
Brule-St. Croix Chapter of the North Country Trail Association offers these guided hikes in the Solon Springs area. Hikes depart at 9 a.m. unless noted from KD’s Restaurant in Solon Springs. Go to northcountrytrail.org/bsc or meetup.com/SSCBHikers, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (715) 292-3484.
* Aug. 9: Solon Springs North to Reinsberg Road
* Aug. 23: Solon Springs South to Leo Creek
* Aug. 30: Labor Day weekend hike – Brule-St. Croix Boardwalk
* Sept. 6: Brule-St. Croix Historic Portage
* Sept. 20: Bird Sanctuary
* Sept. 27: North Country Trail Day celebration
* Oct. 11: West Mail Road to Two Bridges Road
Gooseberry Falls State Park offers these events. Go to dnr.state.mn.us/calendar or call (218) 834-3855.
* Full Sturgeon Moon hike, 9 p.m. Aug. 9. Meet at the amphitheater fire ring.
* Mushrooms 101, noon Aug. 14 and 10 a.m. Aug. 15. Meet at the visitor center theater.
* Tales of the Trail: Traveling around Lake Superior, 1 p.m. Aug. 23. Meet at the theater in the visitor center.
* Falls color hike, 10 a.m. Sept. 7 and Sept. 14. Bring a picnic lunch. Meet at the visitor center.
Arrowhead Fly Fishers, 5-8 p.m. Aug. 12, Mary Lou Donovan’s house, 284 McDonnell Road. Bring your beverage of choice and something to cook on the grill. Call (218) 525-7274 or (218) 391-0166 to register.
Kraus-Anderson Bike Duluth Festival, Aug. 16-17, in Duluth. Features Enduro race, guided trail rides and hikes, downhill race, voyageurs revenge race and party at Chester Bowl. Go to bikeduluthfestival.com for details.
Minnesota Hiking Celebration, Aug. 21-23, Spirit Mountain. Features guided hikes on Superior Hiking Trail, presentations, Duluth Hiking & Outdoors Expo, family hikes and activities. Free except for Thursday night banquet. Go to northcountrytrail.org/Duluth or fb.com/NCTinMN.
Women Hunting and Fishing summer event, 10 a.m. Aug. 23, Camp Wilderness near Park Rapids, Minn. Features speakers, sessions, fishing, nature walks, geo-caching, archery range, gun-cleaning and a challenge rope course. Cost: $35 includes lunch and dinner Saturday, $60 includes lunch and dinner Saturday, lodging Saturday and breakfast Sunday. Call Jean at (218) 326-9775 or email Betty at email@example.com for a registration form.
Lake Superior Wilderness Conference, Sept. 5-6, Inn on Lake Superior. Features adventurers and authors Gary and Joanie McGuffin, Ontario author Conor Mihell, Dave and Amy Freeman, Mike Link and Kate Crowley and wilderness managers from various public land agencies. Go to northland.edu/wilderness to register.
If you have a meeting notice or other item to submit to Outdoors Notes, you can email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it (218) 720-4120, attention Outdoors Notes. Deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Tuesday before the Sunday of publication. If you have any questions, call Kris at (218) 723-5322.