Douglas County Fish & Game League 2014 Sports Show, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today, Wessman Arena, UWS. Features seminars, live fish pond, youth archery, laser shot, crossbow intro and cowboy action shooting featuring the Black River Bandits. Tickets: $7, free for ages 12 and younger. Free parking. Go to dcfgl.org for schedule of seminars.
Voyageurs National Park Ranger-led interactive programs, for ages 5 and older, 6:30-7:30 p.m., International Falls Public Library. Go to nps.gov.
* Tuesday: “Wetland Building Blocks” with park ranger Lisa Maass
* April 8: “We Have to Fly North Again?” with park ranger Chris Amidon
* April 15: “Animals Adapt” with park ranger Justin Olson
* April 22: Celebration National Park Week with the Caterpillar Crawl with park ranger Lisa Maass
Duluth Parks and Recreation annual meeting offers “An Evening with Sam Cook,” 6 p.m. Wednesday, Spirit Mountain Grand Avenue Chalet, 8551 Grand Ave. Free. Call (218) 730-4300.
Duluth Sports Expo, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Bethany Baptist Church, 6700 Grand Ave. Peregrine falcon demo 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., prizes, sport booths. Free.
Seventh annual HSO Sportsman’s Swap Meet, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Grand Lake Community Center, 5287 Highway 53, Twig.
Hartley Nature Center offers The Basics of Botany, 3001 Woodland Ave. Cost: $20 per session, $15 per session for members. Call (218) 724-6735 for required registration.
* Saturday: Plant ID
* April 12: Plant Hike
UMD Recreational Sports Outdoor Programs, (218) 726-7128; email@example.com; or umdrsop.org:
* Thursday: Bow drill fire starter with Danny Frank, 6-8 p.m., register by noon, meet at Bagley Nature Area classroom. Cost: $3 for UMD students/$8 others.
* April 8: Baking on the Trail, 5-7 p.m. Registration by noon April 7. You provide personal eating utensils. Cost: $4 for UMD students/$8 others.
* April 10: Sigurd Olson lecture series, “Yellowstone is more valuable than gold: Lessons from the new world mine battle,” noon to 1 p.m., library fourth floor rotunda. Free.
“Rising from the Ashes,” an award-winning feature-length documentary about Team Rwanda, the country’s national cycling team, premiers at 7 p.m. and 8:45 p.m. April 9, Zinema 2, 222 E. Superior St. Tickets: $10 in advance or $15 at door. Go to imathlete.com/events/risingfromashes. Call (218) 722-7300.
Archery Instructor Certification course, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. April 12, UMD Field House. Cost: $60. Registration deadline: noon April 10. Call (218) 726-7128 or go to umdrsop.org.
Gypsy moth update, 10 a.m. April 12, Sugarloaf Cove Nature Center, 9096 Highway 61, Duluth. Learn the basics about this moth. Free. Call (218) 525-0001 or go to sugarloafnorthshore.org.
North Woods Chapter Whitetail Unlimited Banquet, 5 p.m. April 13, Black Woods Banquet Center, 195 U.S. Highway 2, Proctor. Tickets: $40 single, $25 spouse, $25 junior. Call Matt at (218) 464-8908, Josh at (218) 269-1496, (800) 274-5471 or go to whitetailsunlimited.com by Saturday.
Lake Superior Chapter Minnesota Deer Hunters Association fourth annual banquet, 5 p.m. April 17, AAD Shrine Temple, 5152 Miller Trunk Highway. Tickets are $55, which includes a one-year MDHA membership; life members and current member tickets are $30. Call Wayne at (218) 389-6246.
Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center, 7328 Boulder Dam Road, offers these events. Call (218) 721-3731, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to boulderlake.org.
* Minnesota Forest Health Update: What’s in Your Woods and What’s Coming webinar, April 22
* Inuit kayak paddle-making workshop, April 23 and April 26
* Bent shaft paddle-making workshop, May 2 and May 5
* Boulder Birding Big Day, May 10
* Minnesota Phenology: Monitoring Seasonal Changes webinar, May 28
28th annual David Salsman Memorial Chapter Conservation and Sportsmen’s Banquet, 5:30 p.m. social, 7:30 p.m. dinner April 24, Coates Plaza, 502 Chestnut St., Virginia. Cost: $60 for individual, $85 for membership and spouse, $35 for junior membership. Call Deanna at (2180 410-0930 or send to c/o Tritec of Minnesota, Inc., PO Box 948, Virginia, MN 55792.
River Talks, science talks about the estuary, 7 p.m. April 29, Clyde Iron Works restaurant, 2920 W. Michigan St. Go to lsnerr.uwex.edu/events.html.
34th annual Duluth/Superior Chapter Conservation & Sportsmen’s Banquet, 5:30 p.m. May 1, Elks Club, 1503 Belknap St., Superior. Cost: $60 for single, $75 for member and spouse and $35 for junior by April 21 or $85 for single, $100 for member and spouse and $35 for junior. Call Greg at (715) 392-0688 or email gjohnson@AmericanExcelsior.com.
Crex Meadows Wildlife Area, 102 E. Crex Ave., Grantsburg, offers Explore Bowhunting Workshop, ages 11-17, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 7. Registration required by May 23. Free. Call (715) 463-2739 or go to crexmeadows.org.
If you have a meeting notice or other item to submit to Outdoors Notes, you can email it to us at email@example.com or fax it (218) 720-4120, attention Outdoors Notes. Deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Tuesday before the Sunday of publication. If you have any questions, call Kris at (218) 723-5322.