Make a Difference for April 20, 2014
* Memorial Blood Centers will offer the following blood drives across the Northland. Call (888) GIVE-BLD (448-3253) or go to mbc.org for eligibility guidelines and to schedule an appointment.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Northland Office Center, 301 S. First St., Virginia.
Tuesday: 3-6 p.m. at Daggett’s Foods IGA, 104 First St. N.E., Hinckley.
Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Hinckley-Finlayson High School, 201 Main St., Hinckley.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Floodwood High School, 115 W. Fourth Ave.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Wrenshall High School, 207 Pioneer Drive.
Thursday: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Dairy Queen, 1441 E. Sheridan St., Ely.
Friday: 8:30-11:30 a.m. at Northeast Range High School, 30 South Drive, Babbitt.
Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Grand Rapids High School, 800 Conifer Drive.
* The Volunteer Attorney Program will host its annual Law Law Palooza at 6 p.m. Friday at Clyde Iron Works, 2920 W. Michigan St., Duluth. The event features musical performances by local judges, attorneys and justice partners, as well as a silent auction and dinner. Tickets are $35 in advance or $40 at the door. Call (218) 723-4005 for more information or to purchase tickets.
* A benefit for Jeremy Baney will be from 4-8 p.m. Saturday at Skyline Lanes, 4894 Miller Trunk Highway, Hermantown. Baney, a father of two, was diagnosed with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma stage IVB and is being treated with chemotherapy at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and younger. The event will include a cash bar, taco and cupcake bars, silent auction, discount bowling and music by Mark Rubin. A Kindle Fire HDX is being offered as a door prize. All proceeds will help with Baney’s medical expenses. For more information, contact Cathy Ion Hill at (218) 525-5629, Judy Bordson Behning at (218) 724-2677 or John Serre at (218) 724-5870.
* Zup’s Supermarket will be collecting donations through Memorial Day, May 26, for the Dale Andrew Brekke/Moises Albert Langhorst Memorial Scholarship to support veterans and their families attending Vermilion Community College. For more information or to donate directly to the VCC Foundation, contact Jeanette Cox at (218) 235-2110.
* The University of Wisconsin- Superior’s student radio station KUWS seeks donations of items for its We Are College Radio Auction on May 1. Proceeds from the auction will go directly toward purchasing equipment for the station, converting the station’s library of vinyl albums to digital copies and provide travel money to the annual Wisconsin Broadcasters Association Student Radio Conference in Madison. For more information or if you would like to donate, call (715) 394-9530 or (800) 300-8530 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Here are a few volunteer opportunities supported by the United Way Greater Duluth Volunteer Center. Go to volunteerduluth.org or call Paige Stein at (218) 726-4780 for more information.
Great Lakes Aquarium seeks volunteers to be a teacher’s assistant with its Whirligigs preschool science class. Classes are from 10-11:30 a.m or 1-2:30 p.m. Tuesdays or Wednesdays in eight-week sessions. Assistants do not need to be present for all class sessions, but can choose a day and time commitment. Volunteers must have experience working with preschool or early elementary children. For information, contact Mary Pensak at (218) 740-2036 or email@example.com.
Lake Superior Zoo is looking for volunteers to drive the train and act as a guide through the zoo’s many exhibits and introduce guests to the animals. Interested volunteers should be 18 or older and possess a valid driver’s license. For more information or to volunteer, contact Valerie Slocum at (218) 730-4500, ext. 210, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arrowhead Agency on Aging seeks volunteers to become a state health insurance and assistance program counselor to help Medicare beneficiaries, their family and caregivers understand their Medicare options; connect to programs that help with Medicare costs; provide education on health and long-term care insurance; one-on-one assistance reviewing Medicare options, statements, claims and forms, educate on public and other programs; provide information and referrals to local resources; and help access prescription assistance programs for Minnesotans of all ages. For more information, contact Lee Swenson at (218) 529-7539 or email@example.com.
* The Aliveness Project seeks volunteers to serve as ambassadors during its Dining Out For Life fundraiser on Thursday. Ambassadors will welcome and thank guests at participating Duluth-area restaurants, offer them a chance to enter a drawing and give patrons an “I Ate” sticker. The Aliveness Project is a community center for people living with HIV or AIDS across Minnesota. Participating restaurants include: Jitters Coffee House, Pizza Luce, Va Bene, Northern Waters Smokehaus, Amazing Grace, At Sara’s Table Chester Creek Café and New Scenic Café. For more information or to volunteer contact Monica at (612) 822-7946, ext. 206, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Lake Superior Maritime Museum Association seeks volunteers for its SS Meteor spring work weekend. Volunteer times are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday at the SS Meteor Whaleback Museum, 300 Marina Drive, Superior. For more information, contact Sara at Superior Public Museums, (715) 394-5712. Superior Public Museums also plans to repaint the black hull of the ship and asks supporters to buy and sponsor a gallon of paint for $50 per bucket. To sponsor a gallon of paint go to superiorpublic museums.org/s-s-meteor-2/buy-a-bucket-0-paint/.