Helping Out for May 11, 2014
SECOND HARVEST NORTHERN LAKES FOOD BANK
- Pack backpacks: Help prepare the nearly 1,000 bags of ready-to-eat food that is distributed to children in the region through the BackPack Program. This requires regular packing of foods into 1,000 small bags. Must be able to stand, lift and bend and follow warehouse safety procedures. Evening hours are available.
- Food shelf: Serve as a shopping assistant or carry boxes for Second Harvest clients. Food shelf distributions occur Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Duluth facility. Must be friendly, enjoy working with people, able to stand, lift, bend and follow warehouse safety procedures. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
NORTH HOUSE FOLK SCHOOL
North House Folk School has many volunteer opportunities. Volunteers distribute catalogs, host programs during special events, assist with mailings and so much more.
To volunteer, contact Kelly Dupre, volunteer and classroom coordinator, at (888) 387-9762 or (218) 387-9762, or go to northhouse.org.
SOLID ROCK SAFE HAVEN
Northwest Wisconsin Community Services Agency Inc. seeks volunteers to assist with meal preparation and service at Solid Rock Safe Haven, 1004 N. Sixth St., Superior. Background checks are required and volunteers must be able to lift and carry items up and down stairs. Volunteers should also be compassionate, patient and willing to work with people from all walks of life. Call (715) 392-5127 or go to northwest-csa.org for more information.
ARROWHEAD RSVP – AEOA
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is recruiting volunteers 55 and older to fill the following positions. Call (218) 409-5991 for more information.
- Bone Builders: Class leaders are needed for Bone Builders, a weight training program that prevents and reverses oste-oporosis by increasing muscular strength and bone density. Other benefits include improved balance, enhanced energy and well-being and increased opportunities for socialization. Bone Builders groups meet twice weekly. Training is provided.
- Activity helper: Lincoln Park Community Senior Center seeks friendly and outgoing volunteers to assist the coordinator in providing activities for guests. Responsibilities include distribution of food items for Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors, scheduling appointments, making popcorn and coffee, light cleaning, and creating a warm and welcoming environment. Volunteers must have good people and phone skills.
- St. Scholastica Monastery: Volunteers are needed to work in a variety of different positions such as the gift shop, front desk and driving. Volunteers must have good people skills.
If your organization needs volunteers for a cause, you can make a request to readers. Send it to Helping Out, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802, email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 720-4120.