Helping Out for April 27, 2014
SECOND HARVEST NORTHERN LAKES FOOD BANK
Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank relies on many volunteers to help keep things at the food bank running smoothly. Call Lora Wedge at (218) 727-5653, ext. 108, or email email@example.com for information.
- Sanitize and Keep it Safe: Assist staff with stringent sanitation requirements. Sweep, dust, mop or sanitize the warehouse and clean room. This is a wonderful opportunity for small to large groups. Must be able to stand, lift, bend and follow warehouse safety procedures. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Repack, sort and label food: Help sort and repack dry foods or perishables, or relabel cans. Must be able to stand, lift, bend and follow warehouse safety procedures and food sanitation practices. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Hair nets, gloves and other food-safe supplies will be provided when required.
- Pack commodity food: Help prepare some of the more than 950 boxes of commodity food that are distributed to in-need mothers, children and seniors throughout the region as part of the Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors and Mother and Children programs. Must be able to stand, lift, bend and follow warehouse safety procedures. Evening hours are available.
- Transportation: Assist the Second Harvest driver with food distributions, help set up the site, direct traffic, carry food boxes and more. Must be friendly, enjoy working with people, able to sit for short periods of time, stand, bend and lift up to 50 pounds. Wear casual, comfortable shoes and clothing. Primarily day-time hours with 2- to 9-hour commitment re-quired.
- Adopt-A-Senior or Family: Deliver monthly commodity food boxes to people residing in Cook, Lake, St. Louis and Carlton counties. Flexible schedule. Must be friendly, enjoy working with people, able to lift a 40-pound box of food and have reliable transportation. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Office/administrative: Detail oriented, organized, volunteers are needed to assist with data entry, filing, direct mail projects and more. Projects are typically on an on-call basis however, weekly scheduling could occur. Must enjoy a fast-paced working environment.
VOYAGUERS NATIONAL PARK Voyageurs National Park seeks volunteers for the following positions. Training is provided and positions with public contact are required to wear a uniform. Hours are flexible and some positions require a background check for government clearance. For more information contact Chris Amidon at (218) 283-6636.
- The Rainy Lake Visitor Center seeks volunteers to meet visitors, provide information and assist with staffing the visitor center.
- International Falls Headquarters seeks office volunteers to assist with data entry, information requests, brochure requests, updating website information, layout design and page development.
If your organization needs volunteers for a cause, you can make a request to readers. Send it to Helping Out, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802, email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 720-4120.