Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Firefighters respond to electrical shock, structure fire at Duluth building

The Duluth Fire Department was called to a building in the city’s Lincoln Park neighborhood twice within two hours Wednesday afternoon — once to treat a man who received an electrical shock, and then later for a structure fire.

Firefighters responded to 2132 W. Second St. just after 2 p.m. on a report of a man on the roof who received an electrical shock. Authorities said the man was performing construction work when a piece of steel flashing he was carrying contacted a live overhead wire.

The man was conscious and alert, officials said. He suffered burns to his hands and was taken to a local hospital.

Later in the afternoon, just after 3:30 p.m., smoke was spotted in an upstairs apartment in the building. Firefighters returned and discovered the electrical shock had traveled through the metal flashing and ignited a fire in the building below.

Firefighters contained the fire to a small corner on the roof. Damage is estimated at $20,000, officials said; the apartment remains habitable.

No other injuries were reported.

Advertisement
randomness