Firefighters douse smoldering grain at Superior elevator
Welding sparks are believed to be the cause of smoldering grain Thursday night at an elevator in Superior, which prompted firefighters to visit the General Mills complex twice.
The Superior Fire Department reported that it got a call about 6 p.m. for a possible fire at 2205 Winter Street, home of the S and X General Mills grain elevators. Firefighters were told that maintenance welding may have led to a fabric membrane on a grain bin starting on fire and dust smoldering.
Firefighters had to climb to the seventh floor of an elevator, hoisting a fire hose and then pumping water from St. Louis Bay. Part of the fabric structure will need to be replaced and there was some water damage, the fire department reported.
Crews left at 9:10 p.m. but were called back at 10:30 when another hot spot was discovered. The scene was cleared for good at 12:13 a.m. There were no injuries.