Faces for March 16, 2014
- The University of Wisconsin-Superior announced the following area students received graduate degrees in December:
Saud Alali of Duluth received a master's degree in media communication.
Karli Bozykof Duluth received a master's degree in education, guidance and counseling.
Alison Kilpo of Duluth received a master's degree in art therapy.
Nicole Vegar of Duluth received a master's degree in special education.
Beth Jauhola of Proctor received a master's degree in reading education.
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison announced John Patrick Edlebeck of Duluth received a master's degree in mechanical engineering.
- The University of Wisconsin-Stout announced the following area students were awarded graduate degrees in December.
Porsche Peakof Duluth received a master's degree in marriage and family therapy.
Christopher Wagner of Butternut received a master's degree in education.
- Brule native Matthew Stai received a merit scholarship from Oklahoma City University. The university awards merit-based scholarships to freshmen demonstrating outstanding academic achievement and potential, regardless of financial circumstances. Merit scholarship amounts range from $1,500 to $7,500.
- Sen. Al Franken announced the nomination of Timothy Porter of Duluth for admission to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. If chosen for an appointment, Porter, the son of Chris and Linda Porter, would enter the academy this summer and be a part of the class of 2018. Porter is a senior at Marshall School, plays football and baseball, is a member of the jazz band and volunteers at local nursing homes.
- Duluth East announced the results of its marketing and business students competing at the regional competition of the Business Professionals of America in Grand Rapids: Jim Anderson, second, insurance concepts; Rachel Aslyn, fourth, human resource management; Kristel Baltazar, second, medical office procedures; Hannah Beaudry, fifth, basic office systems and procedures and fundamental desktop publishing; Rachel Berg, second, administrative support concepts; Erica Churchill, fourth, banking and finance; Ailie Davidson, fourth in advanced word processing skills and fifth in medical offices procedures; Madeline Dusek, third, human resource management; Brady Evanson, second in computer network technology, third in information technology concepts, fourth in personal computer servicing and troubleshooting and also in management/marketing/human resource concepts; Whitney Garden, first, fundamental desktop publishing; Iyzaya Gill, third in computer programming concepts and fifth in insurance concepts and PC servicing and troubleshooting; Noah Golden, second in network administration using Microsoft, fourth in computer network technology and fifth in information technology concepts; Kristina Green, fourth, advanced office systems and procedures; Hannah Halverson, third in legal office procedures and advanced office systems and procedures; Ashley Lax, first in human resource management, second in management/marketing/human resource concepts and parliamentary procedure concepts and third in keyboarding production and extemporaneous speech; Will O'Neil, second in human resource management and third in computer network technology; Tessa Paquette, fifth, fundamental desktop publishing; Brandon Pilon, fourth in fundamental desktop publish and fifth in project management concepts; Jonah Wehr, first in banking and finance and insurance concepts and fifth in administrative concepts; Abby Weisinger, second, graphic design promotion and fundamental desktop publishing; Taylor Wendinger, first, keyboarding production; and Gus Ziegler,second in computer programing concepts and third in banking and finance and project management concepts.
- The following people graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in San Antonio.
Air National Guard Airman Rebecca S. Toland,a 2013 graduate of Duluth East High School and the daughter of Ukyong and Jeffrey Toland of Superior.
Air National Guard Airman Nicholas A. Sirois, a 2009 graduate of Hermantown High School and the son of Karen and Jon Sirois of Duluth.
Air National Guard Airman Brendon K. Viaene, a 2013 graduate of Proctor High School and the son of Heidi Karlsson of Duluth.
- Navy Seaman Apprentice Taylor N. Murphy, the son of Jeffrey Murphy of Duluth and Andrea Murphy of Fisher, Ill., graduated from U.S. Navy basic training at Recruit Training Command in Great Lakes, Ill.
- Duluth-based Loll Designs announced a matching gift of $30,000 to the Cyclists of Gitchee Gumee Shoresat the third annual Duluth Traverse Gala held March 1. The donation, as part of the company's Eco Initiatives program, committed to match dollar for dollar, up to $30,000, the money raised by COGGS at the gala. The donation will be used for improvements and investments in the Duluth Traverse Trail System, a 100-mile-long, multi-use, single-track trail purpose built for mountain biking and other human-powered travel.
- The Duluth Superior Eco Rotary Club announced Craig Simonson and Denise Bussajoined the club.
Simonson is the founder and owner of Pure Clean, an environmentally friendly professional cleaning company. He is student at the University of Minnesota Duluth where he is the president of the UMD Entrepreneurship Club.
Bussa is the office manager for Dr. Michael Bussa. She has held various leadership positions with the Junior League of Duluth, has served on the board of the Safe Haven Shelter for Battered Women and is active at First Lutheran Church in Duluth.