Biz Buzz for June 9, 2014
HIRES AND PROMOTIONS
* Northland College announced it promoted associate professor of environmental science and chemistry Sharon Anthony to full professor. The college also awarded tenure to Erica Hannickel, assistant professor of environmental history, and Randy Lehr, professor of regional sustainable development.
Anthony joined Northland in 2008, having earned her doctorate at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and completing her postdoctoral work at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics Laboratory and at Beloit College and the ChemLinks Coalition.
Hannickel joined the Northland faculty in 2008 after completing her doctorate in American studies at the University of Iowa.
Lehr joined Northland in 2010 and earned his doctorate in water resources science from the University of Minnesota.
* Giant Voices announced the hiring of Ryan Krajewski as an account manager and Erik Swenson as an intern.
Krajewski joins the team to launch Giant Academy, the professional development and capacity-building marketing course for entrepreneurs, corporate teams, small businesses and nonprofits. He is pursuing a master’s degree at the College of St. Scholastica in Duluth and also will assist in the client service and management of the firm’s growing roster of clients.
Swenson will spend the summer conducting market research and gaining practical experience in marketing firm operations.
* Amber Ooley was hired by Swim Creative as a media strategist. Ooley’s daily responsibilities include producing social media content for Swim clients using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Vine and more. She holds a degree in journalism from the University of Minnesota Duluth and previously worked as a production team member for WDIO/WIRT-TV.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
* Wilderness Golf Course at Fortune Bay announced it retained its designation as a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary through the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program for Golf Courses, an Audubon International program.
* The Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists awarded WDIO/WIRT-TV’s Eyewitness News with five Page One Awards during its annual awards banquet May 29 in St. Paul.
Eyewitness News at Five received a first-place award for Newscast for its May 15, 2013, broadcast. The newscast was from day two of the “Germann Road Fire” in Douglas County. Anchor/reporter Renee Passal and reporter Maarja Anderson reported live from the fire headquarters.
Eyewitness news producer/reporter Alan Hoglund received two awards for the story “Life on Uneasy Street,” including a first-place award for Hard News Report and a third-place award for Special Project/In-depth Series. Hoglund and photojournalist Desten Johnson spent several days on downtown Duluth’s Superior Street documenting problems near a store selling synthetic drugs.
Good Morning Northland anchor/reporter Brittany Falkers received a third-place award for Investigative for the story “Wounded, Not Broken.” Falkers and Johnson told the stories of two women who know the pain of sexual assault, but found courage in the darkness with support.
* Real Living Messina and Associates announced Alicia Lokke, Deanna Bennett, Elizabeth Kidd, Frank Messina, Kevin O’Brien and Tracy Ramsay received the Premier Service Diamond Elite national award for providing superior customer service to home buyers and sellers in the Northland Area. To qualify to become a Premier Service Diamond Elite aware winner, you must receive a minimum of 97 percent customer satisfaction rating.
* A.W. Kuettel and Sons Inc. received a 2014 Partner in Quality award by Firestone Building Products LLC. Winners of the award were required to meet the following parameters: install four warranted Firestone Building Products roofs in each of the past five years; maintain at least 1 million square feet of Firestone Building Products roofs under warranty; and achieve an annual quality incidence rating of 1.5 or less.
CERTIFICATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
* Fire Chief Kevin Schroeder of the Cloquet Area Fire District successfully completed the process that awards him the professional designation of Chief Fire Officer. The Commission on Professional Credentialing met on May 6 to officially confer the re-designation upon Schroeder. He is one of only 983 Chief Fire Officers worldwide.
* Pam’s Boutique of Duluth recently opened as an online-only business, selling dog booties and other items for dogs. The website is facebook.com/
pamsboutique55804, the phone number is (218) 525-0661, and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Sport Clips opened a new location at the Bluestone Shopping Center, 1006 Woodland Ave., Duluth. The hours are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. The phone number is (218) 481-7353 and the website is haircutmenbluestoneduluthmn.com.
GRAND OPENING/OPEN HOUSE
* Orthopaedic Associates of Duluth’s Hermantown office will celebrate its first anniversary with an open house from 4-6 p.m. Thursday at 4310 Menard Drive. Open house attendees will have the opportunity to meet the therapists, tour the facility and enter a drawing for Minnesota Twins tickets. Cake and refreshments will be provided.
* Duluth family law attorney Jessica L. Sterle relocated her law practice from downtown Duluth to 3904 Grand Ave.
Sterle represents clients in family law matters and is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association and its Family Law Section, and also a member of the 11th District Bar Association.
* Stacy Craig, coordinator of applied learning at Northland College, was selected as one of 17 fellows for Leadership Wisconsin. Leadership Wisconsin is a public and private partnership with a mission of developing leaders to strengthen communities. The program helps existing leaders build their capacity to lead by enhancing their skills, expanding their networks and broadening their understanding of issues facing Wisconsin.
Biz Buzz is a collection of business news tidbits from around the region. Send your business openings or closings, personnel changes or other news of interest in the business community to Biz Buzz, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802, email email@example.com, or fax (218) 720-4120. The deadline for submissions is noon Friday.