Biz Buzz for June 16, 2014
HIRES AND PROMOTIONS
* The Duluth News Tribune announced Melinda Lavine was hired as features editor. Lavine previously worked as features
editor at the Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald since 2012, and before that as an A1 copy editor and page designer at the Herald since 2006. She holds bachelor’s degrees in English and communication from the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks.
* Cassandra Pohl joined Avenue 45 Hair Designers as a stylist. She is a graduate of Duluth Central High School and studied at Regency Beauty Institute. She has three years of salon experience and holds a CND ShellacPro Certification. Pohl’s services include precision cutting, custom hair coloring, foiling and styling, as well as hair extensions, Shellac nails and spray tanning.
* Red Rock Radio announced Chris Zooch has joined Karina Bite as host of the Nu Morning Show on Nu92.1 FM. Zooch spent the past 11 years on the KQDS Afternoon Trainwreck and has more than 20 years of experience in radio in the Twin Cities and Wisconsin.
Zooch will trade places with Tom Roubik, who joins Kevin Key as host of the Afternoon Trainwreck on KQDS 94.9 FM. Roubik spent the past five years as co-host of the Nu92 Morning Show and has a 20-year career in radio in the Twin Ports.
* The Duluth Experience announced the following people were hired as adventure tour guides.
Amelia Bergquist will lead kayak trips for the Duluth Experience this summer and will help expand tour offerings on the water. She holds a bachelor’s degree cell and molecular biology from the University of Minnesota Duluth and was the president of the UMD Kayak and Canoe Club. She also worked for the UMD Recreation Sports Outdoor Program as a paddling instructor.
Jonathan Portinga will be a brewery tour guide and will lead road bike and mountain bike tours this summer. He earned degrees in business and philosophy from UMD and recently won the Midwest Homebrewer of the Year for his Diddly Delectable Flander’s Red Ale.
* Shane Kerska was promoted by Border States Electric to northeast region manager. Kerska will be responsible for sales and profit for branches in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa, including the Duluth office. Kerska began with BSE in 1993 as a driver and has since worked as a city desk representative, customer service representative, account manager and branch manager.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
* Century 21 Gilderman and Associates announced Jodi Olson was recognized as top sales agent for May.
*Andrew R. Peterson, an attorney with the Virginia law firm of Cope and Peterson Ltd., was named a 2014 Rising Star by Minnesota Super Lawyers. Peterson’s practice focuses on personal injury, criminal and real estate law. He is a member of the Quad Cities Rotary Club, serves on the board of directors for the Volunteer Attorney Program and the Virginia Community Foundation, and is a volunteer youth hockey coach.
* The Engineering News-Record named MSA Professional Services in Duluth as one of the top engineering and architectural firms in the nation. MSA moved up to 320 this year from 330.
The ENR Top 500 Design Firms list ranks the largest U.S.-based engineering, architectural, and environmental design firms, both publicly and privately held, based on design-specific revenue.
* Fitger’s Inn announced it received a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award. The worldwide accolade honors hospitality excellence and is given to establishments that consistently achieve outstanding traveler reviews on the TripAdvisor website.
* FedEx truck driver Steve Kranz of Duluth finished second in the Twins class at the 2014 Minnesota State Truck Driving Championship June 7-8 in Fridley.
* The UMD Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced it received four “Best of” awards from the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators.
UMD received a gold award in sponsorship activation for the launch of the UMD Bulldog Rewards Card that provided Bulldog Country supporters with discounts on fuel,
in-store purchases and car washes at Holiday Stationstores. UMD also received a gold award in promotional schedule poster for the concept and design of its 2013 football schedule poster.
A silver award was received in promotional T-shirt design for the design and concept of the 2013-14 UMD Penalty Box T-shirt.
UMD also won a bronze in new revenue-generating idea for its revamped football tailgating operations in 2013 that included the expansion of tailgating space in the main parking lot, a hospitality tent at Malosky Stadium and improved season-ticket opportunities in the Malosky Club Lounge.
CERTIFICATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
* Jennifer Dagenais-Brunder, associate designer at Lindquist and Co. in Duluth, received accreditation as a certified bath designer from the Society of Certified Kitchen and Bath Designers, the licensing board of the National Kitchen and Bath Association. Dagenais-Brunder joined the staff of Lindquist and Co. in 2005.
* Basin Electric Power Cooperative announced GPM Inc., which has headquarters in Duluth, achieved the Preferred Supplier classification
according to the Basin Electric supplier quality assurance program. Among the suppliers doing business with Basin Electric, only the top 18 achieve Preferred Supplier level.
* Gov. Mark Dayton announced Mary Finnegan Ongaro, Gregory Fox and Debra Messer, all of Duluth, were reappointed as members of the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center Authority.
* Belanger Inc. announced it moved its downtown store to 5007 Matterhorn Drive, Duluth. The new store features a large showroom and an on-site workroom to meet specific needs of customers. Belanger Inc. has offered window treatments for homes and businesses in the area since 1949.
* Brian Misiewicz, financial adviser with Ameriprise Financial Services Inc., moved his office to 5 N. Third Ave., Suite 402, Duluth.
Biz Buzz is a collection of business news tidbits from around the region. Send your business openings or closings, personnel changes or other news of interest in the business community to Biz Buzz, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802, e-mail email@example.com, or fax (218) 720-4120. The deadline for submissions is noon Friday.