Biz Buzz for April 28
HIRES AND PROMOTIONS
* Josh Reiman was hired as a field engineer for Superior Computer Products Inc. in Duluth. Reiman is a veteran of the Minnesota Air National Guard’s 148th Fighter Wing, has more than 10 years of experience and is a Microsoft Certified Professional.
* Doug McMonagle joined Red River Broadcast as director of sales. McMonagle spent 14 years as sales manager at KMSP in Minneapolis and joined Clear Channel Television in 2003 and helped create its Inergize Digital Division that helped stations use and monetize various digital products. McMonagle’s office will be in Minneapolis, but he will travel to various Red River stations including KQDS Fox 21 in Duluth.
* Beacon Bank hired Brett Kinney and Stacey Johnson as vice presidents of business banking in its downtown Duluth office.
Kinney is a graduate of the Independent Community Bankers of America certification program and is active in Rotary, Shrine and Scottish Rite organizations in the Twin Ports. He also served as a coach and board member for the Woodland Amateur Hockey Association.
Johnson is a graduate of the Risk Management Association’s Commercial Lending Academy and has worked in banking and financial services in the Twin Ports for eight years.
* The Duluth Experience announced the hire of Kris McNeal.
In his new role, McNeal will coordinate, lead and develop adventure tours that integrate excitement, scenic beauty and education. He holds degrees in life science and education from the University of Minnesota and worked as a kayak instructor and guide for the University of Minnesota Duluth Outdoors Program. McNeal also is a certified wilderness first responder.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
* St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Wade Rasch and Deputy Erik Peterson won the Top Gun Competition at the Midwest Special Operations Training Association annual conference. Rasch and Peterson are members of the St. Louis County Emergency Response Team.
* Scheff Logging and Trucking owned by James Scheff in Marcell was named 2014 Logger of the Year by the Minnesota Sustainable Forestry Initiative Implementation Committee during the Minnesota Logger Education Program held April 15 in Tower. The formal nomination noted Scheff’s logging operation’s supply of wood fiber to Minnesota’s forest products economy, while at the same time harvesting trees in an environmentally sensitive manner.
The business includes five timber harvesting crews, one chipping operation and a fleet of 17 wood-hauling trucks as well as a complement of heavy equipment to build and maintain roads, landings and overall support of the business.
* The Lake Superior Chapter of the American Society for Training and Development was named an ASTD Chapter of the Month for April. The award is national recognition for local ASTD chapters that demonstrate strength, growth and innovation in managing their chapter.
The chapter’s award-winning idea was a scavenger hunt designed to educate their members about the benefits of being a local chapter member and a national ASTD member, a designation called a Power Member at the national level. The chapter kicked off an educational meeting with a Power Membership Scavenger Hunt.
CERTIFICATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
* Cameron Nelson, Wells Fargo vice president of investments and a financial advisor, earned the distinction of premier advisor with Wells Fargo Advisors. The distinction is earned by financial advisors who meet or exceed Wells Fargo Advisors’ standards as measured by one or more of the firm’s criteria for revenue generation, educational attainment and client-service best practices.
* Foth Companies will open a new office in the Missabe Building, 225 W. First St., Duluth, in June. The Duluth office will be led by Julianne Hanson and initially will focus on mining work for clients in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin.
Hanson has more than 20 years of experience in managing and preparing environmental documents. She works with National Environmental Policy Act regulations and guidance, as well as with federal, state and local environmental policy.
The website is foth.com.
GRAND OPENING/OPEN HOUSE
* Lake Connections will host a community open house from 4-7 p.m. Thursday at the Silver Bay Fire Hall, 87 Banks Blvd. Lake Connections’ high-speed Internet, digital TV and voice services will be available for live demonstrations, and staff members will be on-site to answer questions. Applications for service also will be available or can be completed by calling (218) 834-8500.
* Sephora will hold a grand opening for its store in the J.C. Penney store in Miller Hill Mall on Friday. The first 100 customers will get to draw a gift card that could be worth up to $100. Sephora also will hand out 750 gift bags filled with samples. Store hours are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday; 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday; and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
* Dr. Vicki Anderson announced her retirement after 39 years of practicing medicine. The public is invited to a retirement party from 2-4 p.m. Saturday at Community Memorial Hospital, 512 Skyline Blvd., Cloquet.
Biz Buzz is a collection of business news tidbits from around the region. Send your business openings or closings, personnel changes or other news of interest in the business community to Biz Buzz, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax (218) 720-4120. The deadline for submissions is noon Friday.